Hereford bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Elder Statesman":20be6fpw said:
JWBrahman":20be6fpw said:
Just because he didn't pay a fortune doesn't mean his bull won't hit his stride in a few months on good pasture.
HL_20140518192521.jpg
He is standing in what used to be the bottom of the Mississippi River. Skeeters and flies so thick you cannot breathe with your mouth open and he is still gaining fast. He has been one of the more fun projects I have had in years.

I don't care what you feed him, his bull won't ever look like that. Sometimes a lot of feed can hide poor genetics, but it won't fix it.

I'm not sure where the "$3500" price came from, but there are decent Angus, Hereford, Limi and other breed bulls out there for less than that. If you just looking to trade cows, you probably made a good deal.

I will have to say, the comments on here have been very educational for me.
. You didn't see this bull as a calf, I'll have to say he's made a complete turn around looks good ....

RoanDurham":3guo8z7n said:
Why are you limiting yourself to a 200 mile radius? the last bull I imported came from saskatchewan and cost me less than a grand to get him all the way to Texas. For $3-500 you can get a bull shipped nearly anywhere in the country. What breed are you looking for on cattle range? I'd be happy to help.

Due to past experiences and also the bulls I've seen in sales and for sale at private treaty I won't buy a bull I haven't laid my eyes on. Seems all anyone wants to video is the side view. They tend to skip the front and rear view. Many times when you see them in person you can tell why. I have basically covered an area 250 miles long and around 100 miles wide so far. Still a few herds to look at. But know the prices will be more than you have stated. I have noticed in the Polled Herefords the udders have improved but the legs and feet are terrible in many instances. The best bulls I've found quality wise for the money has been horned herefords. I'm in no hurry. If it don't rain may have to change plans some anyway. Thanks for the offer though.

branguscowgirl":25jwwesy said:
Well, I have spent an hour attempting to attach our February bull sale results to show you. I just can't get it to work. This is the largest registered bull sale in our area, with very strict sifting and grading practices.
There were 318 bulls that made it through this year. Most of very high quality. Most felt that our prices were down at least $1,000. per bull from what they normally would be.
Just for example, out of 47 Hereford bulls the average sale price was $3,030.85 Out of 28 Polled average sale price was $2,600.
If anyone is curious as to the details and bloodlines go to http://www.redbluffbullsale.com
I just thought that it was interesting to compare our prices as opposed to the prices all of you are seeing. Red Bluff had a lot of good bulls sell for well under $3,000 in all breeds.

The Angus production sale where I selected one bull averaged $4,800 on 87 bulls. Anything with good feet, legs and decent muscling was $4,000 up. Anything with a low BW sold very high even if quality was low. These bulls were 22-24 months old. I have been asked$3,500 - $6,000.00 for yearlings commercial type bulls. The better bulls are several thousand higher yet. I looked the sale you linked too. The prices there were way more reasonable than here. Hard to justify a 6-8 thousand dollar bull unless you have several head. So I can understand why a breeder with a small number of cows would buy a cheaper bull. The calves maybe docked some but not enough to justify an extra 2-4 thousand dollars for a better bull. And sadly many of the bulls I've seen bringing the higher dollars even over $10,000 I would have took a sharp knife to them when they weighed a hundred pounds. There is one prominent breeder in KS currently selling those yearling wonders. They are pushed and look the best of their life at the sale. They only decline after. I saw one recently which brought $14,000 as a yearling that isn't 2 inches taller than he was as a yearling and looks like an overgrown dwarf. So I'm very careful when I look at yearlings. At least as 2 year olds there is more you can tell about them.

Our bull prices were down at the Feb. sale due to the drought and feed threat. When you have big ranches selling off their cows and calves at the rate that they were, they cut their bull buying in half. My bull was bought by the biggest commercial ranch in the area. I think that they bought about 22 bulls.
Like I said, these bulls were pretty darn good quality to make it through the sifting and grading process. So no mutts here! I think a small farmer with a few cows could have gotten a bull for under 2k pretty easy!

Latest posts