Hereford Bull Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

His hocks don't bother me too much but his straight pasterns do. This bull wouldn't make it in most parts of the country where any travel was involved to cover his girls. (FYI to whoever mentioned earlier...that's why he appears to walk on his toes because he has no set in his pasterns)

bigag03":2b51oux5 said:
His hocks don't bother me too much but his straight pasterns do. This bull wouldn't make it in most parts of the country where any travel was involved to cover his girls. (FYI to whoever mentioned earlier...that's why he appears to walk on his toes because he has no set in his pasterns)
guess i dont see the problem

bigag03":2700ndwl said:

Went back and looked at the pics again and have to say I agree totally with your comments. Especially since he looks like he'll be fed to a pretty high level so the pressure on those legs will be amplified IMO

That is a steep foot angle but not enough to really cause abunch of trouble when used on correct cows. Especially when you consider that the heritability of foot angle is only something like 15%.

cow pollinater":3uxltt2z said:
That is a steep foot angle but not enough to really cause abunch of trouble when used on correct cows. Especially when you consider that the heritability of foot angle is only something like 15%.

I was more thinking of the staying sound and being able to service the cows aspect not the heritability but your point is taken .

I've seen many show steers with similar rear legs (hocks and pasterns). They have a hard time walking well.
To be truthful, when I saw the first pic, I thought that he looked like a show steer.

Here are some updated pictures of him taken today.

IMGP2672_zps2bef9156.jpg

IMGP2670_zps95a9616d.jpg

IMGP2668_zpsee1be2b3.jpg

He certainly has a nice expression of muscle throughout his hindquarters and it appears that he has a long twist too.
Are you planning on keeping him? If so, I am looking forward to more pictures as he matures. Thanks for sharing your photos.

We plan on showing him at the Wisconsin State Fair

We are trying to sell him but if we dont we will use him as clean up on our heifers and horned cows.
We are VERY excited about this guys future. We will probably collect him and try and market some semen out of him.

CMAHerefords":2ww7m4vn said:
We plan on showing him at the Wisconsin State Fair

We are trying to sell him but if we dont we will use him as clean up on our heifers and horned cows.
We are VERY excited about this guys future. We will probably collect him and try and market some semen out of him.

I think he will do very well as a show bull and quite possibly club calf type sire. He has the "look".
If I bred Hereford, I would ask about getting some semen to use between April-August for the market program. For just a youngin I think he's looking good.
How is his disposition?
Like some of the others, I'm anxious to see how he matures. Please post updated photos as time goes. I think he could have a future one way or the other.

CMAHerefords":haau3rkv said:
Semen is available if anyone is interested.

$25/ unit $75 cert.

Message me if interested.

How about more info. Weight, ultrasound data, etx.

No offense but what are you basing him being an AI sire on. bloodlines?

FWIW i didn't mind him being kinda cowy at 8 months but he better be expressing some masculinity pretty soon or he's not gonna make a bull.

Got a current picture?

Latest posts