Hereford Bull Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

CMAHerefords

Reaction score
Was wondering what people thought of this bull calf.

D.O.B 4-18-12
BW: 70#
Sire BR Moler ET
Dam: Purple Viola 7M

IMGP2642.jpg

IMGP2638.jpg

IMGP2640.jpg

IMGP2628.jpg

He appears to be very straight through his hocks.
Did you brush and fit him? He looks like he is ready to be shown.

In some pictures, he does look straight through the hocks, and in some, not so much. Love the top line. He does appear to be fitted, but someone forgot to clip his ears a little. I like'em flashy, and he is that. Did someone clip his hooves. He is certainly standing on his toes.

he has not had his feet trimmed yet and does not have any adhesive in him. He was washed and blown. thats it.

He's an 8 month old calf. He has a strong topline, good rump muscling, good set of legs. The 3rd pic (3/4 shot) shows really nice rib shape. I like him.
I know Knersie generally likes a bull to be more masculine at a younger age than I do. Guess CP does also.

Looks post legged to me also. curious as to what Knersie will say. I think he will break down breeding but may not. I am by no means an expert lol. I like that he is flashy.

I also like them a little more rugged, the head is very typical of USA poll genetics. Hocks are fine, well within the accepted range, decent shape, hooks to pins is quite short and for a 8 month old bullcalf that has been fed I'd like to see better expression of the secondary sexual traits. Overall he is a pretty fancy calf that should show well, just don't get him too fat too early for future use.

KNERSIE":1cvdnjvk said:
I also like them a little more rugged, the head is very typical of USA poll genetics. Hocks are fine, well within the accepted range, decent shape, hooks to pins is quite short and for a 8 month old bullcalf that has been fed I'd like to see better expression of the secondary sexual traits. Overall he is a pretty fancy calf that should show well, just don't get him too fat too early for future use.

One of my absolute worst pet peeves. I would appreciate it if you would go into more detail.

CMAHerefords":3av52d60 said:
he has not had his feet trimmed yet and does not have any adhesive in him. He was washed and blown. thats it.

He certainly cleaned up nicely and looks like he will do well being shown.
I hope that you will continue to post pics of him as he matures. : )

3waycross":2hxgqe8o said:
KNERSIE":2hxgqe8o said:

One of my absolute worst pet peeves. I would appreciate it if you would go into more detail.

Not much more detail I can go into...

anyway, for what it's worth, here goes...

Contrary to popular believe the rump of a bovine don't go down low to the hocks, the rump is located on the top in the area between the hooks and the pins and is a triangle shaped muscle (actually 3 muscles to be technical) The longer the distance between the hooks and pins the bigger the rump is, the same apply for width and a rounded square look from behind.

The narrower and the more slanted the area from the tailhead sideways, when seen from behind (the term is roofy) the smaller and flatter the rump is.

The most expensive cuts in a beef carcass are all located on the top of the animal and the prime cuts make a very small percentage of the carcass (9-11%) The better the beef conformation the higher this % of prime cuts in a carcass, the better dressing % and the more money for you in your pocket come harvesting time.

On a side note the old timey standard was that a balanced bovine would be as long from pins to hooks, as it is from hooks to crops, as it is from crops to poll. And no, that doesn't make an animal shortcoupled.

I'm assuming from that description, that the "crop" is the "chine" (I think that's the word) as dairymen refer to? (top of the shoulder)
I had not noticed the short h to p, but you are so correct. As I've said before, you have a great eye - even with pics. We don't always agree with "style/type" (pretty close tho!), but I sure like how you SEE everything.

Latest posts