Hereford bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

As long as you can trace the cattle back to herd book volume 13 of 1936 (If I remember correctly) you can have them reinstated with special permission from your Society and the World Hereford Association. DNA may be required and there certainly will be a cost, but it would still be much cheaper than replacing them.

KNERSIE":3ki5mdzu said:
As long as you can trace the cattle back to herd book volume 13 of 1936 (If I remember correctly) you can have them reinstated with special permission from your Society and the World Hereford Association. DNA may be required and there certainly will be a cost, but it would still be much cheaper than replacing them.

He had better buy two or three big bottles of asprin, cause by the time he gets through talking to Kansas City he will need therapy.

Caustic Burno":260xf1i7 said:
KNERSIE":260xf1i7 said:

He had better buy two or three big bottles of asprin, cause by the time he gets through talking to Kansas City he will need therapy.

Caustic, I don't think 3 bottles would do it. I think you would have to throw in a bottle or two of that California Red Wine to get that done.

I would go the baldie route while I kept an eye out for a Reg. Hereford deal if you could find one.

Got the membership dues notice in the mail yesterday, it went straight to the burn barrel.
They have turned the collection of fee's into a pyramid scheme IMO.

It shouldn't be legal to charge for some of the things they do. It seems out of line, but I am guessing that all associations are similiar

after i recived my bill from the hereford assn and the angus assn i think we are going the cross bred route as well. this is turning into a money pit.

oakcreekfarms":1vankydh said:
It shouldn't be legal to charge for some of the things they do. It seems out of line, but I am guessing that all associations are similiar

A few years ago membership dues were 15 bucks and you only paid to register the calves you put into production.
Then a few figured out a way to line their pockets with TPR charging you a yearly fee on every cow in the herd plus bulls on top of registeration fees and membership dues went to 100 bucks.
Now here is the real question what do they do other that collect fee's they sure aren't promoting the breed.
After we got hit by Rita several of the other associations waved the fees for effected cattlemen not the Hereford.
I am not to sure all of these association guys aren't having drinks together laughing at us idiots.
To top it all off they have a bunch of cattlemen believing if it's got papers it has to be good.
I will maintain my Hereford girls because I like the breed, even if I bring one of my bulls back or buy another registered one I won't register another cow with them. I have had a case of the red ass since they went to holding our epd's hostage for fee after fee. It became about money not producing the best cattle.

it's not just the hereford assn caustic trust me they have a good teacher in the aaa jmo David

I know what you guys mean. I used to be part of three different goat registeries. One charged me two hundred bucks a year and all I got was a black and white home printed newsletter a few times a year. They were in debt due to poor management and the members were paying for it. The next charged me 180 a year and I got a glossy magazine each year, a bit of breed promotion and a sponsored show each year. The last one cost me 70 a year I get a glossy magazine every month, I got four different publications when I joined with really good breed info and conformation standards, I get a herdbook every year printed and on cd, they do a LOT of breed promotion and sponsor several shows each year. Guess which society i'm still a member of.

Having said all that, breed societies can be a pita to deal with, and its not cheap. Honestly if I didn't show I wouldn't have registered stock. Cos its so much easier not to bother and i'd still have a market for my stock but at the end of the day I love to show so they have to be registered.

angusdave63":1eq899aw said:
it's not just the hereford assn caustic trust me they have a good teacher in the aaa jmo David

I understand it cost to have staff, there is one woman at the end of the association phone you might as well be talkin to the cow. My Jack Russell has more knowledge of the system and Herefords than she does. The Hereford bunch decided overnight if you didn't pay this fee and that fee you couldn't get your epd's. You would be called a Pedigree breeder. The same breeder that you were last year that got your epds. It wasn't the data collection that was bothersome but the fees. They figured out we weren't registering every calf so they started charging a fee for every cow on a yearly bases if you wanted the epds on her progeny. There were three hereford breeders in my area now there are none. Two of us are still running some mighty fine girls and most likely always will we just quit the association. Then this year they decided we were going to have to start DNA testing. I am pretty sure after 40 years I can tell which calf belongs to which cow, it's the calf nursing her with the same number on the white tag as his momma's yellow tag.

Caustic Burno":1yuc3nvg said:
angusdave63":1yuc3nvg said:

I understand it cost to have staff, there is one woman at the end of the association phone you might as well be talkin to the cow. My Jack Russell has more knowledge of the system and Herefords than she does. The Hereford bunch decided overnight if you didn't pay this fee and that fee you couldn't get your epd's. You would be called a Pedigree breeder. The same breeder that you were last year that got your epds. It wasn't the data collection that was bothersome but the fees. They figured out we weren't registering every calf so they started charging a fee for every cow on a yearly bases if you wanted the epds on her progeny. There were three hereford breeders in my area now there are none. Two of us are still running some mighty fine girls and most likely always will we just quit the association. Then this year they decided we were going to have to start DNA testing. I am pretty sure after 40 years I can tell which calf belongs to which cow, it's the calf nursing her with the same number on the white tag as his momma's yellow tag.
Seems every Association has it's "issues"...... :nod:

angusdave63":39a2vvb9 said:

Dave what it amounts to is they have got by the short hair if you want registered stock. It is about them making money and they have forgotten they exsist because of us, kinda like Washington DC. I started commercial and I will die that way with registered cows in the pasture.

Caustic Burno":2dhfdwix said:
angusdave63":2dhfdwix said:

Dave what it amounts to is they have got by the short hair if you want registered stock. It is about them making money and they have forgotten they exsist because of us, kinda like Washington DC. I started commercial and I will die that way with registered cows in the pasture.

I agree, they have become like the government, and we are the tax payers. I wonder if you had the members in each state get together and tell the association they were all going to drop their memberships if the association didn't lower the fees, and cut their expenses, would that turn it back around?

The AAA has about gotten to the point of it not being worth having registered cattle. If I don't have to test for a defect or dna, it costs on average $40 to register an AI calf, then you have to pay again to transfer it, plus reporting it's data. Then they raised our membership dues $30. They have also cornered the market for testing, which means they don't have to be competitive on pricing for dna testing. I'm getting close to saying adios.

the symbolism between the AHA and the US led by the obama administration is crazy. the aha ceo couldn't be more like obama - all bs talk while we have "elitist" breeders that contribute to his schemes all the while spewing his propoganda. to me its like listening to alan combs defend that nonsense. huffines can make a speach or write an artical and they are all convinced they are determined to get chb going or make the hereford bull in the commercial setting its foundation. i haven't given up tpr yet but i want to pretty bad. the only reason i hang onto it is because if i were to ever sell the cows they have more value with papers. i could go on and on but whats the point.

Hereford76":37px3mt3 said:
the symbolism between the AHA and the US led by the obama administration is crazy. the aha ceo couldn't be more like obama - all bs talk while we have "elitist" breeders that contribute to his schemes all the while spewing his propoganda. to me its like listening to alan combs defend that nonsense. huffines can make a speach or write an artical and they are all convinced they are determined to get chb going or make the hereford bull in the commercial setting its foundation. i haven't given up tpr yet but i want to pretty bad. the only reason i hang onto it is because if i were to ever sell the cows they have more value with papers. i could go on and on but whats the point.

I will give AHA one thing they have got most of us mad from north to south and east to west.
Well this is one old grass farmer they won't have to worry with anymore.

i run a herd of reg. angus, and my wife has a herd of reg. herefords, and at one time i had a herd of reg. charolais. i have sent enough money to these assn. in the last 5 years to pay off my truck or so it seems. after 2011 i am done with the whole mess, i am going to a strictly comercial herd. i am running a red poll bull with the angus cows this year, so there will be no claves to reg there. and when we are finished with our herfy bull, he is getting replaced with a gelbveih bull, here in the eastern corn belt there are so few a cattlemen left to sell breeding stock to, it is just not worth all the cost of regesteration to raise my own replacement heifers ,and steers

All the association BS you guys are talking about helped confirm my decision to go commercial. I don't have the money to get in to the seed stock buisness. I have been trying to deciede if it was worth the extra to start with a few registered cows or just find good commercial cows that meet my requirements.
Randy

Randy i dont know about west tenn, but here in the eastern corn belt we are loosing breeders by the boat load, with high grain who wants to work cows and very little extra hay in the area so if you dont raise your own good luck finding hay. thats why i am going all comercial from now on. David

Latest posts