Hereford bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

lope2win

Reaction score
300363_10150805526725599_797395598_20966186_1337115137_n.jpg

Son the sheath on that calf looks to be mighty low in that pic for a hereford and I have sold a ton of them.
Might just be the pic, angle my old eyes appears to be an umbilical hernia in there as well, if it is he just became Jack in Box cattle.

CKC1586":3a92edbz said:
CB, could be the knee high grass got your eyes flumuxed??
Pretty calf!!!

Might be but this old boy would have that calf in a squeeze chute first thing looking that over.
Tally wacker should be high and tight on a Hereford not hanging like a Gert.

Caustic Burno":l7x8qts9 said:
CKC1586":l7x8qts9 said:
CB, could be the knee high grass got your eyes flumuxed??
Pretty calf!!!

Might be but this old boy would have that calf in a squeeze chute first thing looking that over.
Tally wacker should be high and tight on a Hereford not hanging like a Gert.
Agree that any question would be better served to check it out up close and personal! Didn't mean any offense, sometimes them pictures don't give us the true physicality. He sure does have a beautiful top line.....love his markings...but by all means check out his tally whacker!!!!

thats 1 heck of a calf,an im with CB i beleive id pen him an give him a good going over.

He obviously has a dam that is doing an outstanding job raising him, but he himself has flaws that would eliminate him as a bull prospect, but still make him an outstanding steer calf.

Looks like he's been eatin more than that stuff all around him.. I too would steer him.. not sure from the picture of him if he would make a really great bull herd bull. Definitely needs to have some trim job on him, and that possible hernia checked out. Otherwise... good lookin calf

I might have missed this (sometimes hard to see everything on my phone) but how old is the calf?

I am not picking on your calf no sense in looking for what's right. That hernia that appears to be there in the picture makes him worthless other than hamburger, it won't get better. It goes with the territory, first lesson ruthless culling.

Thanks everyone. We are a horse breeding farm but my Grandfather always had a small herd of Herefords. These are at least the 8th generation. I think we have gotten it down to a pretty nice herd of 11 mother cows. I am very interested in learning more, that is why I was asking what you all thought about that bull, we are not keeping him of course but I am really interested in learning more about conformation and desirability. I have a lot of other questions too. Even though they are all from Registered stock some employee along the way dropped the ball and unfortunately now they are not. Love the cows and Herefords. We have some really nice heifers this year that I think we will hold back. If you don't mind I would like to post some more photos to get some more education.

At this point they are just on pasture and not being supplemented.

Thank you again.

lope2win":1f1jxo3q said:
Thanks everyone. We are a horse breeding farm but my Grandfather always had a small herd of Herefords. These are at least the 8th generation. I think we have gotten it down to a pretty nice herd of 11 mother cows. I am very interested in learning more, that is why I was asking what you all thought about that bull, we are not keeping him of course but I am really interested in learning more about conformation and desirability. I have a lot of other questions too. Even though they are all from Registered stock some employee along the way dropped the ball and unfortunately now they are not. Love the cows and Herefords. We have some really nice heifers this year that I think we will hold back. If you don't mind I would like to post some more photos to get some more education.

At this point they are just on pasture and not being supplemented.

Thank you again.

Ask away. It will cost you more to raise that heifer to production than buy a replacement cow that knows how to work.
Heifers are a crap shoot the only reason to retain is genetics.

This is a heifer that I like a lot. I need to get to my office in the barn to get their calving dates, can't remember off the top of my head ;)

312742_10150807544840599_797395598_20978562_1648657522_n.jpg

lope2win":3qx6sn16 said:
How do you figure it costs more? Maybe it depends on location.

It cost to keep a cow everyday , the dam returns nothing to the operation for two years and you feed a heifer for two years on a maybe she will be a keeper. You have feed two cows for two years with no return on capital that's a huge cost. If you are a really frugal cattleman you might get away with a dollar a day to keep a cow. You have 730 dollars in the dam before she calfs and 205 days before that calf is ready to sell. You have another 525 in the heifer after weaning before she calves or blows up. Thats a lot invested in a maybe.

Caustic Burno":2orgg19b said:
Son the sheath on that calf looks to be mighty low in that pic for a hereford and I have sold a ton of them.
Might just be the pic, angle my old eyes appears to be an umbilical hernia in there as well, if it is he just became Jack in Box cattle.

I hate it when that happens..............good eye. Get any dove this last week? It will be them ducks flying soon!

Latest posts