Hereford Breeders-Maternal Lines

Help Support CattleToday:

bellboer

Reaction score
I am currently helping my son put together a uniform, moderate frame group of young registered Hereford females. Have the backgound and experience with purebred Brahman cattle and commericial crossbred herds.
I have done some research and am asking: What Hereford maternal lines would you seek out to put together a herd that is uniform, dependable and produce quality commmercial bulls. Currently own a HarlandXPure Gold daughter that really looks like the females we are looking for. Is there enough data to make a call on this line? Any thoughts of lines, or ranches to check out would be very appreciated.
My breeding philosophy has always been to breed for uniformity in the cow herd and thus produce a uniform calf crop. Alot easier to reach that goal using 1/2 to 3/4 sisters. There are many knowledgeable posters on this site. Thanks.

Put your location that way people can point you in the right direction. Cant go wrong with danny's cattle. JMS victor domino I believe is his ranch. Lots of guys on here with either horned or polled herefords.

If you are looking for horned 3027 or his son Sensation are very good. Polled I would say Check out Sandhill Farms or NJW sires.

Carlos F.":14y3kebl said:
May I suggest mrvictordomino cattle. He posts here.

Here's Danny Miller's site: http://jmsvictordomino.com/ I don't think you'd be going wrong with his Victor Domino maternal genetics and he's got a really good group of bulls for sale each year with good carcass data behind them. He fall calves.

The Harland's are good maternal genetics from all that I have heard. From what I have heard Harlands would be more moderate framed and better uddered than the Pure Gold influence. I believe the heavier milking Pure Gold daughters ran into some udder problems in older cows and some of them could get big framed.
http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/herefo ... o=29HH0835

The SHF rib eye bull is popular with a lot of people: http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/herefo ... o=29HP0906
http://www.sandhillfarms.com/

bellboer":3u92xop3 said:
I am currently helping my son put together a uniform, moderate frame group of young registered Hereford females. Have the backgound and experience with purebred Brahman cattle and commericial crossbred herds.
I have done some research and am asking: What Hereford maternal lines would you seek out to put together a herd that is uniform, dependable and produce quality commmercial bulls. Currently own a HarlandXPure Gold daughter that really looks like the females we are looking for. Is there enough data to make a call on this line? Any thoughts of lines, or ranches to check out would be very appreciated.
My breeding philosophy has always been to breed for uniformity in the cow herd and thus produce a uniform calf crop. Alot easier to reach that goal using 1/2 to 3/4 sisters. There are many knowledgeable posters on this site. Thanks.

Welcome to the boards. I am in agreement with the other posts. I like the Victor Domino Line and Mrvictordomino has really good animals. I have been fortunate to visit his farm twice. Here is some pics from my last trip. Now these pictures aren't the best because I was using my phone at the time, but check out his website and also he post stuff on here a lot too. Good luck with the herd.

IMAG0345_1_.jpg
[/img]

IMAG0349.jpg
[/img]

IMAG0335.jpg
[/img]

IMAG0340.jpg
[/img]

IMAG0331_1_.jpg
[/img]

I guess that I should have specified horned Hereford genectics. Thanks for everyone's replies. Does anyone have or know where I could purchase CJH Harland 408 sired females produced from C-S Pure Gold 98170 dams,other than Mill Creek Ranch.
Also, if anyone knows a good maternal line, with females available I would also appreciate information. I am not looking for bulls, just females. Location is not a factor. Thanks.
bellboer

I would take a look at Diemert Ranch Herefords and JMS Victor Domino Polled Herefords.

bellboer":2airiy0k said:
I guess that I should have specified horned Hereford genectics. Thanks for everyone's replies. Does anyone have or know where I could purchase CJH Harland 408 sired females produced from C-S Pure Gold 98170 dams,other than Mill Creek Ranch.
Also, if anyone knows a good maternal line, with females available I would also appreciate information. I am not looking for bulls, just females. Location is not a factor. Thanks.
bellboer

You might check Colyers for Pure Gold and Line 1 bloodline crosses. http://www.hereford.com In fact they have a production sale next Monday....February 24, 2014, with 22 females and a slug of bulls on the sale.

Hereford America has some private treaty adds up: http://herefordamerica.com/for_sale.html Both the adds listed are very reputable, long time breeders. I lived within a couple hundred miles of Melchers in Nebraska for many years and heard nothing but good things about them. They have horned females in volume most times of the year. I'm sure they would have a variety of horned Hereford bloodlines.

Art Handle has a site: http://www.arthandelscattle.com/ Art's knowledgeable. He was an AHA field rep for years. He is also a salesman and he definitely has his loyalties, so don't let him talk you into something you don't want.

Hereford females are a pretty hot commodity right now, so good luck!!!

I'd agree with pretty much everything people have recommended so far. While I know everyone has there preference I wouldn't necessarily ignore the Polled genetics too, you can get quality genetics both horned and polled these days. NJW has both horned and polled and one program that has both that we think has some good hereford cattle is Rausch Herefords although you just missed their production sale yesterday. Especially for maternal traits, the Rausch program consistently produces a lot of Dam of Distinctions.

bellboer":2ulzlbe9 said:

As someone who has owned quite a number of Pure Gold daughters over the years, I can say that they are indeed very "maternal" - and also have extra thickness of muscling that is rare in the Hereford breed. But you do have to be careful in selecting for udder and especially good teat structure in them.

I don't know anyone that has used Harland so extensively on Pure Gold daughters to the point where you could find a large number of 1/2 to 3/4 sisters. Mill Creek is probably the best bet there, but I was really disappointed in the cattle that I purchased from them.

Staying with what your original premise is, I would try to find some additional Harland daughters, without a lot of regard to what they were on the bottom side, and select based on the phenotype you desire. You might also look for some UPS Domino 3027 daughters that were of similar type, if you can't find the number of Harland daughters you want.

Then start breeding your herd, and selecting your sires, to achieve the uniformity that you desire.

Good luck! As someone said, Hereford females are a hot commodity right now.

George

Hope this isn't a thread highjack, but I was looking at a bull that is sired by 3027 and whose dam is a 408 daughter. I was really wanting straight line breed, but how do you think that pedigree would work over my gerts. Steers for market and replacment heifers. I also would like to start adding a few registered momma line ones this spring or fall that he would be used over. Another one I have looked at is a GB L1 Domino 175E sired bull with a harland mother, and also has C -S PURE GOLD 98170 on the bottom.

Appreciate all the informative posts. There are some outstanding polled genetics out there, I realize that. We are just trying to follow a path that we feel should be successful. BTW, midtncattle, where are you seeing the animals you are thinking about using?
bellboer

Latest posts