Hereford Beef - Simply the Best

Help Support CattleToday:

P.A.L

Reaction score
"Hereford Beef - Simply the Best

Hereford beef from Ireland came out on top in a steak test carried out in Germany by a food magazine. Steaks from eight major beef producing countries were tasted by an expert panel.
The judges evaluated flavour, tenderness and texture, as well as visual appearance. The Irish rib eye steak was chosen as the clear winner, ahead of the anticipated favourite, New Zealand Wagyu beef, which sells for up to €150/kg.
Other competitors included Argentinean Angus steak, Angus fillet from US, Florentine steak from Italy, Charolais fillet from France, bison from US and German Simmental beef.

Hereford Breed Chairman Mr Robin Irvine was asked by BBC Radio Ulster to comment on these exciting results: BBC Radio Ulster: Good Morning Ulster"

:D :banana:

It is important you are tight-lipped about this or else too many breeders will drive stock and semen prices up.

RD-Sam":3oqimoqe said:
How much was the payoff? :cowboy:

The moral to the story....do not buy Wagyu beef from New Zealand cattle. (just joking New Zealanders)
:cboy: :cboy: :cboy:

Well, I've had "beef?" in Germany before. Based on that experience, I'm not sure the Germans know what good beef is supposed to taste like.

whitecow":bt754jj7 said:
Well, I've had "beef?" in Germany before. Based on that experience, I'm not sure the Germans know what good beef is supposed to taste like.

Amen to that. I have created a few converts on my travels. :D

There is a widely-held belief there that our hormone produced beef is the reason for our obesity problem in the US. Problem is we eat our own beef, don't use growth promotants, and it hasn't panned out for me so much. :frowns:

I would look at the genetics of that Irish Hereford before I got my chest puffed out too far in the USA. Shocking that they could have that much white on them and still taste good. :cowboy:

whitecow":27rytgcu said:

If on menu is just "beef" -you will get a peace of a old holstain cow.... Also it's illegal in most parts of europe to "steer". We eat only bulls...

redcowsrule33":27rytgcu said:
whitecow":27rytgcu said:

Amen to that. I have created a few converts on my travels. :D

There is a widely-held belief there that our hormone produced beef is the reason for our obesity problem in the US. Problem is we eat our own beef, don't use growth promotants, and it hasn't panned out for me so much. :frowns:

I would look at the genetics of that Irish Hereford before I got my chest puffed out too far in the USA. Shocking that they could have that much white on them and still taste good. :cowboy:

It is also true that we think that people in US are F.. becouse of hormone produced beef.

P.A.L":2n1k1w99 said:
If on menu is just "beef" -you will get a peace of a old holstain cow.... Also it's illegal in most parts of europe to "steer". We eat only bulls...

a freudian slip perhaps??

P.A.L":2n1k1w99 said:
It is also true that we think that people in US are F.. becouse of hormone produced beef.

most people get fat because they eat too much, check out the portion sizes. Sod all to do with hormones. oops, sorry, they just have 'big bones' :roll:

It's Okay to eat the poor suckers but don't castrate them!

LOL! Ignorant Europeans. Exactly where our Country is headed on its current course.

They have a very different preference for beef in Europe. They love their meat extremely lean. I had a steak in belgium from a belgium blue bull. The locals all raved about the quality and taste of steaks at this particular restaurant. It wasn't to my taste. Too tough and flavourless. In saying that they probibly would find that my ideal staek tasted too fatty and oily. Each to their own.

Andrew

MO_cows":h2h5qq23 said:
Also it's illegal in most parts of europe to "steer". We eat only bulls...

Huh? Why is it illegal?

Yep, Animal rights, you know.... Vet can do operation, but it will cost more than 100 $.....profitable....

townfarmer":h2h5qq23 said:

They have a very different preference for beef in Europe. They love their meat extremely lean. I had a steak in belgium from a belgium blue bull. The locals all raved about the quality and taste of steaks at this particular restaurant. It wasn't to my taste. Too tough and flavourless. In saying that they probibly would find that my ideal staek tasted too fatty and oily. Each to their own.

Andrew

NOT any more. CAB is coming here too. French kulinarists prefer old fatty beef cows. They pay 4€/kg from beef cow. From 400kg cwt bull you get only 3€/kg...beef Imports from brasil and uruguay has teached people to eat fattier beef. I think in ten years charolais, limousin and expecially simmental will lose popularity. Meat isnt tasty enough.

WichitaLineMan":3k43kowy said:
It's Okay to eat the poor suckers but don't castrate them!

LOL! Ignorant Europeans. Exactly where our Country is headed on its current course.

Not sure why you are laughing because you are exactly correct. I really do not understand why we can win freedom but then want to be under control again.

P.A.L":2tnno8qu said:

I must add to the discussion that the difference in estrogen levels between implanted and unimplanted beef is undetectable by most tests. There is more estrogenic activity in EVERY vegetable than there is in implanted beef. The uninformed consumer is definately our biggest threat.

Jake":1ma1avix said:
P.A.L":1ma1avix said:

I must add to the discussion that the difference in estrogen levels between implanted and unimplanted beef is undetectable by most tests. There is more estrogenic activity in EVERY vegetable than there is in implanted beef. The uninformed consumer is definately our biggest threat.
I'm glad you said that, Jake. Fat people are fat because of overindulgence.

novatech":y2h4wstm said:
For the last 2 guys.
I sure hope you just forgot to put smiley faces on the end of your statements.
I didn't forget anything. The primary reason for fat people being fat is overeating and overdrinking and not working it off through excercise. Nothing funny there. So, let's hear your conspiracy theory.

I had a straight hereford calf who hurt his front leg when he was young. Nothing wrong with him he just walks with a limp. He wintered out with his mother and in the spring I put him into a pasture of native grass by himself, the grass was being banked for early winter grazing. Two weeks ago I beefed him, probably around 1100 lbs. Just shot him in the field, hoisted him up with the front end loader and butchered him. Hung him in the shop for seven days and boned him out right there saving all the cuts and grinding the hamburger.
Now people always say grassfed is tough beef but this steer is about the tenderest meat I've ever ate and he was very well marbled and tasty! Last year we ate a Sim/angus cross steer that had been getting greased with barley all summer, local abbatoir hung him fourteen days....and he was tough as an old boot! Even the hamburger was tough!

Latest posts