Herd Bull - Trouble!

Help Support CattleToday:

cghoerichs

Reaction score
Not sure this is a breeding question exactly but... I've got a small herd of 10 angus cows. I've also got a 3yr old angus bull. I do rotational grazing and move the cows three, maybe four times a day for high impact grazing on small paddocks setup with string fence. Calving and breeding go on during the rotational grazing. This bull has been hanging out with the steers when he isn't in with the cows to keep him company. My issue is that the bull has become pretty belligerent about moving and any type of "handling," though he does fine when he's in a corral or moved through a chute. This spring I ended up having to move him by pressuring him with my bobcat/skidloader because he turns to face me down when I try to walk him anywhere. The bull pushed a fence down that didn't have electric on it while scratching and got out about a month ago so he's been living in a pasture by himself surrounded by high-tensile . He even puts his head down and went at the skidloader when I was moving him back into the pasture. Last night the wife went out in the pasture with a truck to do some chores in another part of the farm and the bull chased the truck down. She parked and he followed. She moved to another location and he ran after, head down, mock head butting the truck! Question is - What would you do with him? Think it's because he's alone that he's wild with the truck or that he's hit the age where he thinks he's boss? I don't want to have a problem with him but hate to get rid of him right at breeding time either.

Sell him immediately !!!!!!!!!

There are way too many good bulls (angus included) to keep a bull with a bad disposition. This bull will hurt someone, if not you. If he is putting his head down on a skid loader and chasing down your truck, in his mind he IS the boss, and will do what he pleases. He needs to be sold - this is the type of bull that you read about killing someone. If it were me, I would bring him to the stockyard and have him labeled as "kill only" so no one else buys him (thinking they are getting a deal on a breeding bull) and gets hurt. He may be ground meat, but no one will be hurt.

As has been said, he needs to not get any older. Doesn;t matter the reason, the behaviour is adequate to get him a ride.
Jeanne used to use the term COD and i'ts appropriate in this case, COD = Cull On Disposition

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Count me in with what everyone else has said. Breeding season or not, he is a liability at this point. Is he/it worth having to worry about yourself or your wife's safety every time either one of you has to be out and about around him? What happens if he gets loose and its not a fenced in area? Is he apt to 'chase' some innocent bystander?

He77, I won't even keep a "mean" rooster.

Katherine

I agree with everyone else. Decent quality Angus bulls are not hard to find, get another one and get rid of Mr. Attitude. Good luck loading him.

Sounds like the jury is in. I got him up into the corral this evening by moving his water up to the corral. He'll live in the corral until I can get him to the sale barn. Then as MO_cows said it's a matter of loading him. I'll have to wait til after the holiday to get him down the road but down the road he'll go. Thanks again all.

Had bulls a few years back that pulled
the same stunts. Tearing up fencing,
going for visits, and fighting any attempt
to get them back home. Could not get
close enough on ATV to push or drive them,
treated truck and backhoe as their toy.
Temporary fix was the purchase of a little
Daisy red rider BB gun. 350 feet per second
does not break the skin but, it does sting.
Got their attention. All I had to do was yell
at them and they would go where I wanted
them too. And of course a few months later
they both went to the sale barn.
RT

R.T.":2jti97zs said:
RT

Wrist Rocket does the same thing with much greater range.

R.T.":tcdob0b8 said:
RT

i have done this ...keeps yer distance safe...onlu when theyre being stubborn as most of mine are like puppies now

A key point made above is to get rid of this bull - preferably for hamburger - BEFORE the breeding season. Disposition IS a heritable trait. And I would personally not sell him to anyone looking for a breeding bull , sell him for hamburger only and you will sleep better at night. There are other bulls around. jmho. jim

I agree the slingshot has better range....I'm not
worth a darn shooting a slingshot...Did not want
to hit one in the eye and blind him. So I know I
can shoot better with iron sights. Besides most
of the time I have my 5 year old grandson with me.
He's the door gunner on my atv. He will be a heck of
a deer hunter...he don't miss. Ha.
RT

That bull loaded like he was ready to go for a ride! Never had to lay a hand on him. He went through the chute and up into the trailer so fast I almost didn't have time to remember to close the trailer door. Wish he would have been that good in the pasture...

Latest posts