herbs safe for cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

regolith

Reaction score
I've got a small area by the dairy door that the cows don't graze properly in the rotation, half thinking of spraying out the grass and planting up some sort of low ground cover instead, I can throw a light fence round it to discourage them from grazing, leaving the path to the door accessible.

Just wondered about the safety of common herbs, for example thymes, sage, flowering salvias, marjoram, supposing the bovines were grazing round the edges or jumping the fence. I've got something spreading out in my herb garden at the house that I didn't plant, I think it might be oregano. The main ground for the fence unit is in that area as well, and the drafting pen next to it.
And just how far do these plants spread? I'm not going to put any mint there because I know that stuff goes for miles. It was popping up in the lawn at my last farm by sending its roots under the garden path.

One farm I visited had pots of succulents around the cowshed - it looked delightful, but I can just imagine one stray bovine would quickly destroy the lot if I tried that.

kenny thomas":22wyu8q9 said:
Only thing I know is the flavor of onions will transfer through to the milk. Could that maybe happen with other herbs also?

Possible, I don't know. It wouldn't take much either to taint milk... there's a weed they call 'twin cress' that I don't know anything about except the milk company hates it and you don't really want it on your farm.

From what I've read about half of all garden plants are poisonous, so it gets tricky knowing what to put there - I see cattle every day reaching through fences for plants known to be poisonous and it never seems to worry them.
I think most people would simply spray out an area like this and keep it sprayed (mowing isn't practical) but I'm fighting round-up resistant weeds everywhere that gets sprayed regularly.

Carex? Kinda ugly but at least it's possibly not poisonous. Weed matting and hebes? I spotted one in flower today along a creek bank, presumably an original wild one rather than a cultivar.

Latest posts