Pic for 3waycross

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
Look what I picked up today ! Not sure is it will actually give me fruit or not but thought I would give it a try . If you look closely there already is one small one on the "tree".
1910484_10203470284694494_2072114825127816396_n_zpsa78f2838.jpg

I need to do some reading on fig trees that is for sure Kingfisher . I will transplant it into a large tree pot we have as we have some planted some semi mature pine and spruce trees to plant asap .

I have never tasted a fresh fig and Vic keeps telling me that once you do you have died and gone to heaven . Looking forward to trying just one . :D

hillsdown":2my61vk1 said:
Look what I picked up today ! Not sure is it will actually give me fruit or not but thought I would give it a try . If you look closely there already is one small one on the "tree".
1910484_10203470284694494_2072114825127816396_n_zpsa78f2838.jpg

Here in the south on old homesteads you will find a fig tree planted at the end of the drain pipe where the kitchen sink water is drained out. The oldtimers didn't want that water going into the septic tank. Fig trees require a lot of water.

in the small shopping mall here there's a fig tree, no one here knows what they are. we've nabbed a few once in a while..
I hope you have a warm place for it.. I don't think they like frost much

hillsdown":ht9a2rx0 said:
I need to do some reading on fig trees that is for sure Kingfisher . I will transplant it into a large tree pot we have as we have some planted some semi mature pine and spruce trees to plant asap .

I have never tasted a fresh fig and Vic keeps telling me that once you do you have died and gone to heaven . Looking forward to trying just one . :D
And he's right...especially it if wait and let it get almost falling apart ripe.

Pretty excited to try my very first one . Now all I have to do is wait and hope that the birds do not get it before I can and judging by the size of that lonely one it is going to be a very long wait .. :lol: :lol2:

We just made a fig jelly. Its awesome stuff.

Canadian winter will surely kill it I would think. Though best done in the spring you can take a cutting from it, cut the leaf in half, stick it in some good soil and cover the cutting with a clear plastic coke bottle you've cut the bottom out of and it will root right away. Have six cuttings going right now. Yes, I love figs.

Jogeephus":2obspjew said:

Canadian winter will surely kill it I would think. Though best done in the spring you can take a cutting from it, cut the leaf in half, stick it in some good soil and cover the cutting with a clear plastic coke bottle you've cut the bottom out of and it will root right away. Have six cuttings going right now. Yes, I love figs.
Explain that procedure a little further please.
What's the purpose of cutting "the leaf in half"? and do you have to use a cutting that has just one leaf?
Plant the stem end in the soil I assume?

Is this like some cuttings, in that there isn't a very big chance the cutting will produce fruit true to the parent tree?

greybeard":2psj3b3d said:
Jogeephus":2psj3b3d said:

What's the purpose of cutting "the leaf in half"? and do you have to use a cutting that has just one leaf?

Is this like some cuttings, in that there isn't a very big chance the cutting will produce fruit true to the parent tree?

All you need do is cut the stem of a fig and stick it in some good dirt. You want to cut off all but one or two of the leaves depending on their size. If you are left with a large shade type leaf you'll want to cut this leaf in half with scissors because you have to slow down the evapo-transporation from the cutting since the cutting has no roots to sustain the leaves. Basically you balance things out. You then want to stick these in good dirt and create a greenhouse around them by either using a 2 liter coke bottle with the bottom cut out or some clear plastic. You then put the "greenhouse" in a partially protected place out of direct sunlight and let it sit for a few weeks - say three. After three weeks has passed and if they are looking healthy you cut the plastic some or open the top of the bottle so it can begin to acclimate to the unprotected world. After another couple of weeks you can pull the greenhouse off the plants and you have new potted figs to set out where you want.

All cuttings are that of the plant it was taken from so it will be true to the variety of the cutting. I think what you are referring to is the root stock. Many plants are grafted to various plants within the same family. If the top dies and is replaced by the root stock then your fruit will be that of the root stock and this is rarely if ever a desirable fruit.

The good thing about doing it this way is you can insure yourself of getting figs that are suited for your environment which you cannot do when you buy from a nursery. All you need do is go around to old home places and find figs that are good bearers and have thrived at these home places and get your cuttings. I've bought three fig plants from various nurseries in my area and all but one has died during our winter. They were beautiful plants when I bought them and filled with figs but they sure weren't any variety I can grow here.

Here are some I have going now to give you an idea of how I do it. I'll be taking the plastic off shortly and will probably transplant them this fall.

Jo, do you have any figs that turn yellow when they get ripe? My grandparents had two fig trees like that way back when. The trees were in their chicken yard and had a fence around them to keep the chickens from getting up in them and eating the figs. Those yellow figs would get twice as big as the brown ones. The trees are long gone now. Sure wish I'd gotten some cuttings off those. I've never seen another one like them anywhere.

ga.prime":3fhlf99h said:
Jo, do you have any figs that turn yellow when they get ripe? My grandparents had two fig trees like that way back when. The trees were in their chicken yard and had a fence around them to keep the chickens from getting up in them and eating the figs. Those yellow figs would get twice as big as the brown ones. The trees are long gone now. Sure wish I'd gotten some cuttings off those. I've never seen another one like them anywhere.

Those are my favorite fig. When they are ripe they split and the honey runs out of them.

3waycross":2svfjfh0 said:
ga.prime":2svfjfh0 said:

Those are my favorite fig. When they are ripe they split and the honey runs out of them.

I have one of the trees can send you some cuttings let me know how and when to take the cuttings. They are getting ripe now. Wife made some preserves for me after ruining some trying to make her mothers recipe. We used this recipe and they turned out very well http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emer ... ecipe.html

ga.prime":2r68rcm1 said:

I have one of the trees can send you some cuttings let me know how and when to take the cuttings. They are getting ripe now. Wife made some preserves for me after ruining some trying to make her mothers recipe. We used this recipe and they turned out very well http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emer ... ecipe.html

Jogeephus":3kxus27y said:
greybeard":3kxus27y said:
Jogeephus":3kxus27y said:

All you need do is cut the stem of a fig and stick it in some good dirt. You want to cut off all but one or two of the leaves depending on their size. If you are left with a large shade type leaf you'll want to cut this leaf in half with scissors because you have to slow down the evapo-transporation from the cutting since the cutting has
no roots to sustain the leaves. Basically you balance things out. You then want to stick these in good dirt and create a greenhouse around them by either using a 2 liter coke bottle with the bottom cut out or some clear plastic. You then put the "greenhouse" in a partially protected place out of direct sunlight and let it sit for a few weeks - say three. After three weeks has passed and if they are looking healthy you cut the plastic some or open the top of the bottle so it can begin to acclimate to the unprotected world. After another couple of weeks you can pull the greenhouse off the plants and you have new potted figs to set out where you want.

All cuttings are that of the plant it was taken from so it will be true to the variety of the cutting. I think what you are referring to is the root stock. Many plants are grafted to various plants within the same family. If the top dies and is replaced by the root stock then your fruit will be that of the root stock and this is rarely if ever a desirable fruit.

The good thing about doing it this way is you can insure yourself of getting figs that are suited for your environment which you cannot do when you buy from a nursery. All you need do is go around to old home places and find figs that are good bearers and have thrived at these home places and get your cuttings. I've bought three fig plants from various nurseries in my area and all but one has died during our winter. They were beautiful plants when I bought them and filled with figs but they sure weren't any variety I can grow here.

Here are some I have going now to give you an idea of how I do it. I'll be taking the plastic off shortly and will probably transplant them this fall.

When and what time of the year early spring or is now a good time

hurleyjd":8nelkc43 said:
ga.prime":8nelkc43 said:

We are at 7000' there ain't a fig in the world that can stand our winters. Thanks for the offer though. If I can get someone with a greenhouse to plant them I might take you up on the offer.

Latest posts