Pic for 3waycross

Help Support CattleToday:

ga.prime":2ppi7n6m said:
Jo, do you have any figs that turn yellow when they get ripe? My grandparents had two fig trees like that way back when. The trees were in their chicken yard and had a fence around them to keep the chickens from getting up in them and eating the figs. Those yellow figs would get twice as big as the brown ones. The trees are long gone now. Sure wish I'd gotten some cuttings off those. I've never seen another one like them anywhere.

I don't. It sounds like a calimryna or possibly an adriatic fig? I'm rooting Hunts and Violette de Bordeaux. The hunts are large and greenish yellow with rose tint and the Violette de Bordeaux is large but dark.

hurleyjd":2ppi7n6m said:
When and what time of the year early spring or is now a good time

The best time is in the spring after the mother plant has set its leaves. You have to give them time to root and stabilize. They are fast rooters so you might still have time to do it if you took some smaller cuttings that could balance themselves out before they shed their leaves. Cuttings I used were about half again the size of a pencil and I think they have now rooted enough where I can take the plastic off and let them get used to the weather.

ga.prime":3v2t3eaj said:
Jo, do you have any figs that turn yellow when they get ripe? My grandparents had two fig trees like that way back when. The trees were in their chicken yard and had a fence around them to keep the chickens from getting up in them and eating the figs. Those yellow figs would get twice as big as the brown ones. The trees are long gone now. Sure wish I'd gotten some cuttings off those. I've never seen another one like them anywhere.

Try this website: https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/ ... y+fig+tree

Also in this area nearly everyone had a pear tree that they called a sugar pear. I have looked for one of these on the internet and the sugar pears that show up do not look like the pears that I remember.

hurleyjd":2ofafsq8 said:
ga.prime":2ofafsq8 said:

I have one of the trees can send you some cuttings let me know how and when to take the cuttings. They are getting ripe now. Wife made some preserves for me after ruining some trying to make her mothers recipe. We used this recipe and they turned out very well http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emer ... ecipe.html
Thanks, I'd sure take you up on that offer if I thought the cuttings could survive the trip. Glad to know the yellow figs are still around anyway. Maybe I can find some a little closer to home.

ga.prime":2jw3yzgt said:
hurleyjd":2jw3yzgt said:
ga.prime":2jw3yzgt said:

I have one of the trees can send you some cuttings let me know how and when to take the cuttings. They are getting ripe now. Wife made some preserves for me after ruining some trying to make her mothers recipe. We used this recipe and they turned out very well http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emer ... ecipe.html
Thanks, I'd sure take you up on that offer if I thought the cuttings could survive the trip. Glad to know the yellow figs are still around anyway. Maybe I can find some a little closer to home.

https://www.willisorchards.com/ peters honey fig is the one I have, you might check them out they are in GA

Great info, hurley! That looks like the real deal there. There's a guy in my hunting lease that lives in Cartersville can probably pick those up at the nursery and bring them down here when he comes hunting.

I mainly grow Celeste figs from an old family tree. I take my cuttings when the trees are dormant and store the cuttings in a ziplock in the vegetable drawer of the refrigerator. They recommend pencil size cuttings, 6 or 8 inches long. I set the cuttings in potting soil in the spring . I have also started growing some of the LSU varieties. These are some of my young trees started from cuttings this spring.

vblUuFYl.jpg

We had one in a pasture by the catch pen years ago. It had figs about half the size of the ones I see now. They were so much better too. It finally froze out. Wish I could have one now.
My grandmother made fig preserves with lemon rind in them.
What I wouldn't give to be able to set at her table with a jar of those.

Nice job Fred. You should have a bumper crop in no time. Have you ever taken dormant cuttings and just put them in a jar of water in the windowsill?

jedstivers":3loxltmd said:
We had one in a pasture by the catch pen years ago. It had figs about half the size of the ones I see now. They were so much better too. It finally froze out. Wish I could have one now.
My grandmother made fig preserves with lemon rind in them.
What I wouldn't give to be able to set at her table with a jar of those.
As a kid we had one fig tree that had the small figs. They were great...had another tree that had huge figs but they never would ripen. Only get a little pink right through the middle and that was it.

Jogee, I've heard of people doing that. I think it can work, but I think there are better methods. These 2 links shows the method I am using. I used shredded cypress mulch that I get from Walmart. I put the moistened mulch in a big plastic tote and bury my bundles of cuttings in the mulch. When they start showing small roots I pot them up in 1 gallon pots. I get about 70% success with them.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/frui ... opagation/
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/frui ... follow-up/

Guy down the road roots them during the winter in a jar on his window sill. From your link, they say they are the easiest fruit to root. Must be why I'm having luck with them. I pulled the plastic off mine once I saw leaf buds forming. They look nice. I only did six but all six have new leaves on them. I'll pot them in 1 gallon pots when it cools a little and hopefully have them planted in early spring once the chance of frost is over.

I have been working towards making an edible landscape in waste areas around the farm. Unfortunately I have been the plants worst enemy because I'll sometimes forget where I plant something and it gets sprayed with herbicide.

The fig tree is growing but no other figs yet and the one on it hasn't really done anything at all . I am transplanting it and then at the end of August it will go into a greenhouse for the winter to keep growing . So we will see what goes on over winter .
Did I say winter :yuck: :(

Hillsdown, hope you good luck with it. I am on a fig forum and there are some members growing figs in Canada.

Latest posts