Herbicide for Locust?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Asked a local farm store what they suggested for spot spraying some Locust that are popping up in a pasture. He said Element or mixing Crossbow really strong, 4oz. per gallon. Any suggestions? Really did not want to buy 2 1/2 gallons of Element 4 for just a little spot spraying, but want it to work.

I'd suggest remedy. This isn't the ideal time to kill them, with sap rising. Hit them just before the sap falls. It'll get the roots that way.

Bigfoot":6mug00vf said:
I'd suggest remedy. This isn't the ideal time to kill them, with sap rising. Hit them just before the sap falls. It'll get the roots that way.
With all this rain never saw them jump up so bad. Don't think they carry Remedy.

You can order tryclopyr 4e online, for like $75 a gallon. It's the same thing as remedy, it'd be enough to spot spray locust all summer, and not run out. It's good stuff.

4 ounces of crossbow equals one ounce of remedy, if that puts it into perspective.

Adding surfactant is also the way to go on a locust. It makes a big difference I think.

I have had success using Triclopyr in a basal stem treatment. Mix 1 qt of Triclopyr and 3 qts. Diesel. Spray a 2 to 3 inch band on each stem or trunk.

i'd cut them before spraying.

we mix crossbow with diesel fuel to take them out.

Most of these are maybe a foot tall, so would spraying them this time of the year work? Not a lot of stem to be spraying and don't want damage much grass. So would Crossbow with diesel do it ? Crossbow label says suppression on it making me think it only partially does the job.

tom4018":2b209m0a said:
Bigfoot":2b209m0a said:
With all this rain never saw them jump up so bad. Don't think they carry Remedy.
Element 4 is the same thing as Remedy. It's what I use on everything. I get it in 30 gallon drums.

Tirclopyr is the active ingredient in Remedy, and Element 4, and Garlon 4 and I don't know what else. It's the same percentage in each, so you might want to check prices. Crossbow has triclopyr and 2,4-D. That's a good combination. I've never used Crossbow, but I have mixed those two together with excellent results. What's the per gallon cost on Crossbow?

ga.prime":3dy6kvog said:
Tirclopyr is the active ingredient in Remedy, and Element 4, and Garlon 4 and I don't know what else. It's the same percentage in each, so you might want to check prices. Crossbow has triclopyr and 2,4-D. That's a good combination. I've never used Crossbow, but I have mixed those two together with excellent results. What's the per gallon cost on Crossbow?
Have not bought any this year but last year it was a little less that $50 in gallons.

One local place has Element 4 for $200 for 2.5 gallons. Really did not want to buy that much for a little spot spraying. I may try the heavy dose of Crossbow as I have some.

To me, if ya want to get the best bang for the buck with triclopyr, Crossbow doesn't contain a high enough % of triclopyr compared to what Remedy has. I'd rather buy Remedy then add some 2,4d to the tank mixture.
From the specimen labels of each:

Crossbow:
active ingredients:
triclopyr 3,5,6---16.5%
2,4,d--------------34.4%
other ingredients-49.1%

Remedy Ultra:
active ingredient:
triclopyr 3,5,6---60.45%
other ingredients: 39.55%

crossbow
http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld02H006.pdf

Remedy Ultra
http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld7nr005.pdf

I tried some Crossbow a couple years ago on young chinese tallow and was not impressed with it and went back to tank mixing my own Remedy/2,4d mixture.

tom4018":2190tglv said:
ga.prime":2190tglv said:
Have not bought any this year but last year it was a little less that $50 in gallons.

One local place has Element 4 for $200 for 2.5 gallons. Really did not want to buy that much for a little spot spraying. I may try the heavy dose of Crossbow as I have some.

That Element 4 price is a bit higher than here. $200 for 2.5 gal is $80/gal. I haven't bought any this year but last year it was $55/gal or $56/gal in 2.5 gallon jugs and $50/gallon in 30 gallon drums. I'll buy another drum in the next couple of weeks and find out what it is. I already bought a drum of glyphosate and it's down from last year. The drum price on glyphosate was $12/gallon. The price on 2.5 gallon jugs was $16/gallon.

greybeard":1wh7tk3d said:
I tried some Crossbow a couple years ago on young chinese tallow and was not impressed with it and went back to tank mixing my own Remedy/2,4d mixture.
Chinese Tallow is a tough one to get a good kill on. Root sprouts are their survival mechanism. What percentage Remedy/2,4D mixture do you make?

Use the Remedy and diesel and saturate the small plants leaves and all. Buy a cheap spray bottle because you probably want to throw it away at the end of the year. TSC has the 1 1/2 gallon ones on sale, two for $20. They work good for a cheapie.

I am not able to give as definitive answer yet. I sprayed all sprouts last summer. Those in the hay pasture, I cut during the winter, appeared dead and hard as hammered hell. Burnt up two skill saw type blades on the weedeater, then Tordon'd the stumps. Those in another area I'm using as a test plot. Appear dead now, no new growth yet, still standing. Used 4:1, Diesel:Clear Pasture (Remedy knock-off), basal spraying when they were big enough, sprayed the whole plant on the smaller ones by the time I was satisfied I had the stump good enough.

Eaist high abd smeller I hit with a foliar spray of Remedy and water. Bigger then that I do the basal spray with Remedy and diesel.