Herbicide for fence lines

Help Support CattleToday:

farmguy

Reaction score
I usually spray annually with roundup. Sometimes weather is not cooperative such as too much rain in low areas. When I do spray fences with roundup they grow back usually in the same year. I was wondering about spraying with Atrazine or Pramitol. Any other suggestions? I want some thing that will last at least one year and maybe longer. thanks farmguy

I usually try not to kill grass, and focus on the broad leaves, vines, and brush. Are you committed to killing everything? If not, I'd recommend Grazon next.

my neighbor sprayed his fences with something every year and killed everything....
after he died and the land was rented out....
the tennants don't spray and the fence lines are now grown up with cedar trees, multiflora rose, pokeberry, blackberry and all manner of difficult weeds.....had he used a broadleaf only those things might have come but the cows would have grazed the grass under the fence...and the vegetation might have slowed the other stuff taking hold.

Yeah I agree with Bigfoot. I do prefer the grazon p+d. I believe it's more effective on cedar and prickly pear. Remedy can be good if you have some bigger stuff.

I used some pasture gaurd last year on some fence covered in Greenbrier and it worked quite well. I simply ride the fence with a atv boomless with just one side open. I do it every year and consider it mandatory maintenance

Atrazine would diffidently take care of the broad leafs better than anything else, and works with rain. Spray it double heavy once, and you won't have to worry about any broad leafs for the next 5 years. (That was joking of course)

Arsenal or it`s generic equivalent. Spray it one time in the spring and it stays bare all summer. I had to find something that lasted longer than Roundup because of a neighbors tobacco field I could only spray once before they planted it.

Kill the grass and the weeds will come. I have used Surmount mixed with Remedy with good results. This year I have Tordon 22k and Remedy I am going to use already bought. It should be bout as good as you can get without killing the grass. A neighbor used roundup on his fence rows and killed the grass and now he has a mess. The weeds have taken over.

https://www.corteva.us/products-and-sol ... n-22k.html

I have a few acres and the prior owner sprayed the fence line with a chemical that killed everything along the line...making everything else easier to cut and not having to worry about weed eating 3200ft of fence line. Any suggestions on what I can get from Lowes or HD that is equivalent? What have you used that garnered great results?

You can buy Remedy at TSC or other farm stores for the woody type problems. They also sell Big N Tuff (glyphosate) which is like roundup except a lot cheaper if you want the grass also gone. It does work a little slower than roundup. Mix them together per the label makes a good product to do both. Neither one requires a license but as the others have said, killing the grass opens up the problem of weeds and brush that are somewhat immune to the chemicals.

jltrent":59s3l6wo said:
Kill the grass and the weeds will come. I have used Surmount mixed with Remedy with good results. This year I have Tordon 22k and Remedy I am going to use already bought. It should be bout as good as you can get without killing the grass. A neighbor used roundup on his fence rows and killed the grass and now he has a mess. The weeds have taken over.

Tordon22 and remedy is my favorite mix for cedar and prickly pear.

I gallon each to 100 gallon water.
This a spot spray application. And very effective. It will burn the grass but not kill it. Cedar and pear I can spray in February when grass is dormant. seems like the remedy knocks them back. The tordon hangs around through spring when thier trying to recover. Very effective.

TAMU....... tordon22 is twice as effective as grazon at killing cedar and pear. With equal application rates.

callmefence":3iczh091 said:
jltrent":3iczh091 said:

This a spot spray application. And very effective. It will burn the grass but not kill it. Cedar and pear I can spray in February when grass is dormant. seems like the remedy knocks them back. The tordon hangs around through spring when thier trying to recover. Very effective.

TAMU....... tordon22 is twice as effective as grazon at killing cedar and pear. With equal application rates.
how big of cedar (red cedar) can you spray and kill and do you soak them pretty good?

callmefence":1gcr4h1y said:
jltrent":1gcr4h1y said:

That is exactly what I got it for to go around the fence rows and knock the cedars out. Thanks for the info on the mixing rate as I want to burn the cedars up. I tried Surmount and it did very little to the cedar.

BRYANT":2oiolhzs said:
callmefence":2oiolhzs said:
jltrent":2oiolhzs said:

how big of cedar (red cedar) can you spray and kill and do you soak them pretty good?

We deal with blue berry mountain cedar.
Ash juniper.
I'll say up to about 5 feet you can get a decent kill. You can kill very large trees with tordon using the SOIL injection method with undiliuted tordon. This info is given to you in the books you buy for the application license you need to get.

Imho anything over about 3-5 feet is best to remove mechanical and then maintain with herbicide.

jltrent":wndo5gth said:
callmefence":wndo5gth said:
jltrent":wndo5gth said:

That is exactly what I got it for to go around the fence rows and knock the cedars out. Thanks for the info on the mixing rate as I want to burn the cedars up. I tried Surmount and it did very little to the cedar.

Tordon22 is the p in grazon p+d. It is a very effective herbicide. Just remember it won't kill your establishment grass. But don't get it any where your gonna plant seed in the next 6-9 months.

callmefence":2pzafcf5 said:

I know you said 'spot spray' but...
How many linear ft of fenceline do you think each 100 gal would cover? main target being 2000' of fence with yaupon and cedar around 2 ft high? Not solid covered with them but probably one every 'several feet".
(Trying to get an idea how much I will need to get next time I go up to Bryan co-op)

100 gallons of mix should do that easily. I know one thing, 100 gallons is more than I want to put out at one time especially in warm weather. I would mix 25 gallons at a time to see how it goes.

When the wife and I spray for something like this, she drives the tractor along very slowly and I ride along the side with a hand sprayer and a hose about 50' long. when I come to a bad spot, I step off and walk to get better coverage, otherwise I can spray them as she moves along at about 2 MPH.

That's what I do as well, except I won't allow my wife anywhere around where I'm using herbicide. She has some unusual health problems I have to keep in mind all the time. I shoot from the tractor seat mostly, but often climb down and spray to get coverage all the way around all sides of the plant. Dang yaupon is hard to kill. It's about like greenbrier..shiny waxy leaf.

greybeard":nc1glf2e said:
callmefence":nc1glf2e said:

I know you said 'spot spray' but...
How many linear ft of fenceline do you think each 100 gal would cover? main target being 2000' of fence with yaupon and cedar around 2 ft high? Not solid covered with them but probably one every 'several feet".
(Trying to get an idea how much I will need to get next time I go up to Bryan co-op)

Like birddog said. Mix 25 gallons at a time. If a fence is very overgrown I use a atv boomless with one nozzle closed. I can do a quarter mile with a 25 gallon tank. With just a gallon of each. Youll have enough left over to do it again .

greybeard":awcg589o said:
That's what I do as well, except I won't allow my wife anywhere around where I'm using herbicide. She has some unusual health problems I have to keep in mind all the time. I shoot from the tractor seat mostly, but often climb down and spray to get coverage all the way around all sides of the plant. Dang yaupon is hard to kill. It's about like greenbrier..shiny waxy leaf.

Do you use a penetrant like liase. I use pulse in all my herbicide mixes and it doubles the effect.

Latest posts