Hematoma?

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
Hematoma or abcess?
If I understand correctly, the way to determine it is, shave and sanitize the area. Use a syringe to extract a sample. And go from there.
But what do ya do if it's either or....

It's on HIS left shoulder area.
Thoughts?

I'd just watch it. Is this is the steer you paid a hundred for? His head looks big, like he is older than his body tells you he is. But it might just be the camera angle. What are you plans for him?

Get him in the chute. Feel the lump. If it's hard don't do anything. If it's soft put a needle in and squeeze. See what comes out. A hematoma is just a bad bruise. The liquid you get would be a clear to goldish color, no smell. That's bloom serum. Don't do anything, it just needs time and it will go away on its own.
Now, if the liquid you get is whitish / dirty milk colored with a smell that would gag a skunk. That's an abscess. You need to find the lowest point in the softest part of the lump. That's where you lance an abscess. Lance the abscess and let it drain. Then just give the calf a good antibiotic. He should recover. Just be ready that's a smell you just never quite get used to.

A lil better big with some daylight.
Yep. 100 dollar hamburgers I'm thinking.
His head does seem slightly bigger than it should be but not terrible I think. He moves well. Eats good. Seems perfectly fine aside from the lump.

I am familiar with the smell unfortunately.

My guess is a vaccination site that has become infected.

Also has been my experience that many hematomas become abscesses.

Hopefully it is a simple fix and you made a great buy. He doesn't appear to be very old to me.

That's probably exactly what it is. My calves that I have to really save end up with big giant hard balls in their shoulder and neck area. Even the rump if I run out of space. My sick calves or the weak ones get too many pokes. I have a steer now with the big one still and he's now 4 years old...

Agree with gcreekrch's assessment and particularly if you vaccinated within the last month and aren't adhering to BQA and product manufacturer protocols. If you opt to lance, insure the incision is low and reasonably large to promote drainage and flush well with a mild betadine solution (or equivalent) for several days to make sure the site doesn't seal back prematurely. IMO I'd not add additional insult to injury by treating with systemic antibiotics.

Sorry guys. These are terrible pictures. I'll try and get a better picture this evening. Hopefully hes settling in.
I dont think it's an injection site. It's almost a hump behind his left shoulder up high. Kinda like a brahma hump only further back and not near as tall. Left side. Like left of his spine.
I almost think he was laying down and some idiot cow tried to walk over him and stepped on him.
He came in with a big load of others. Hes the discount puppy

MurraysMutts said:
Sorry guys. These are terrible pictures. I'll try and get a better picture this evening. Hopefully hes settling in.
I dont think it's an injection site. It's almost a hump behind his left shoulder up high. Kinda like a brahma hump only further back and not near as tall. Left side. Like left of his spine.
I almost think he was laying down and some idiot cow tried to walk over him and stepped on him.
Yeh but you keep showing photos of his right side.

Ken

MurraysMutts said:

I give a lot of vaccinations in the loose hide over the ribs and behind the shoulder. Much easier when they are lined up in the alley than the neck.

gcreekrch said:
MurraysMutts said:

I give a lot of vaccinations in the loose hide over the ribs and behind the shoulder. Much easier when they are lined up in the alley than the neck.

I don't remember that vaccination technic in the BQA hand book.
Yes, chronic calves can and do get needle sore, but that is no reason to routinely vaccinate cattle wrong. BQA or not, those vaccines are not designed to go behind the shoulder.
I alley vaccinate all the time. Cow, calves and every inbetween. Sub Q in the neck. That's where vaccinations go.

SBMF 2015 said:
gcreekrch said:
MurraysMutts said:

Yes, chronic calves can and do get needle sore, but that is no reason to routinely vaccinate cattle wrong. BQA or not, those vaccines are not designed to go behind the shoulder.
I alley vaccinate all the time. Cow, calves and every inbetween. Sub Q in the neck. That's where vaccinations go.

Sub Q is Sub Q. The reason for the neck area is apparently because of more blood flow there. Have had this discussion with several vets and their opinion is the same. Sub Q is Sub Q.

A lot of idiots are still giving injections and vaccinations in the rump " because you can't see a lump when given there".

MurraysMutts said:

Regardless of the arguments here my friend, I would restrain your new purchase and feel for a soft spot in that lump and poke a clean 14 gauge needle in there, let drain whatever comes out. Cut a hole and flush with bridine as 76bar suggested. You might make a reall winner out of your $100.

I think this pic will show it well.
Been a long day!
Thanks you all for the suggestions.
I do plan on putting him in the chute and checking it out. Just gonna be a few days I reckon.

Gee Murray, photography is certainly not your forte'. I think I could picture a bag of swelling that has gravitated down towards the elbow, would that be right? If so then I would think it is a haematoma from a blow a bit further up. It should gradually dissipate by itself.

Ken

gcreekrch said:
SBMF 2015 said:
gcreekrch said:

Sub Q is Sub Q. The reason for the neck area is apparently because of more blood flow there. Have had this discussion with several vets and their opinion is the same. Sub Q is Sub Q.

A lot of idiots are still giving injections and vaccinations in the rump " because you can't see a lump when given there".

Yeah, and I've seen good Ol' boy vets give Nuflor behind the ribs! Or the local vet that used to grind sulfa tabs in the blender then add water to make injectable sulfa. Just because you can doesn't mean that it's right.
Sub Q, so you always use a 5/8" 16ga needle? Unless you are tenting the hide anything longer will be a deeper injection than Sub Q.

SBMF 2015 said:
gcreekrch said:
SBMF 2015 said:

Yeah, and I've seen good Ol' boy vets give Nuflor behind the ribs! Or the local vet that used to grind sulfa tabs in the blender then add water to make injectable sulfa. Just because you can doesn't mean that it's right.
Sub Q, so you always use a 5/8" 16ga needle? Unless you are tenting the hide anything longer will be a deeper injection than Sub Q.

Gee, I guess so...……. after a few thousand shots per year I think I might have things nearly figured out...…….

Maybe post up some photos of your operation so maybe I can learn to do things fitten and proper...…... :dunce: :help: :roll:

Fitten and proper...
Love it! Lolz

Ok. So I can see that big flat hump clear as day.
Perhaps it's because I know it's there huh?
If u follow his topline starting at his exit hole, and look forward to his head.... it starts about halfway and continues to about his shoulder. So about a foot wide or so.
Regardless, sounds like I for sure need to get him in the chute and continue accordingly.
I'll give a couple days for him to settle down. Hes pretty spooky yet. Hes not like all mine. I can walk up to most of mine. He wants away as soon as u get near him. Like he wants a 20 foot safe space easily. Lol

Thank you everyone. I'll update soon as I can

Latest posts