Hematoma

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts said:
I was wondering how he was doing..
Does he take all his pills without sassing?

He'll eat all he can but has a hard time when they end up in the corner of the bowl, so I dig 'em out and shove 'em in his mouth with a couple cubes. Lucky for me, he's my super docile guy.

Yikes, it burst! And smells almost as bad as foot rot or RP. So, was it an abscess all along or a hematoma that developed into an abscess? Leaning towards the latter, mainly because of all the fighting, it felt hot to the touch and I had that happen to me. Will never know but he'll get over it either way.

Terrible place for an abscess plus a compromised drainage route. Darned thing might want to seal shut before the goop is thoroughly evacuated! Next report I suspect you'll likely tell us you trimmed the hair and flushed it several times while he was munching his treats! :nod: 8)

Brilliant idea, 76! Currently still draining and he did let me squeeze a little extra. Ewee!

We had company from Wisconsin last weekend and she was terrified to get out of the Polaris while I sat on the grill and doled out his pill/cube combo. But I suspect primarily because Willy (to my left) was talking smack. ;-)

SBMF 2015 said:
Bannamine transdermal. This is the latest, greatest, tool for bulls that lost the fight.
The label claims it lasts twice as long as injectable. Just apply down their top line like pour on. It works great. The bulls don't get cranky from being poked.

Thanks for the recommendation. I used to treat it with usual antiseptics in the old fashioned way. And so I appeal only to the veterinarian. But such drugs should be in the medicine cabinet of every owner, as for me. Only first you need to find out about them.

SBMF 2015 said:
Bannamine transdermal. This is the latest, greatest, tool for bulls that lost the fight.
The label claims it lasts twice as long as injectable. Just apply down their top line like pour on. It works great. The bulls don't get cranky from being poked.

Thanks for the recommendation. I used to treat it with usual antiseptics in the old fashioned way. And so I appeal only to the veterinarian. But such drugs should be in the medicine cabinet of every owner, as for me. Only first you need to find out about them.

Brilliant idea, 76! Currently still draining and he did let me squeeze a little extra. Ewee!
:lol: Don't forget to hot pack it several times a day with a rag soaked in Epsom salts!!! :lol:
We had company from Wisconsin last weekend and she was terrified to get out of the Polaris while I sat on the grill and doled out his pill/cube combo. But I suspect primarily because Willy (to my left) was talking smack. ;-)
Sad but true city folk out of their element. :roll: Glad she got to witness a knowledgeable & compassionate rancher. :clap: Lemme guess...Willy the smack talker was the victor?

76 Bar said:
:lol: Don't forget to hot pack it several times a day with a rag soaked in Epsom salts!!! :lol:
Sad but true city folk out of their element. :roll: Glad she got to witness a knowledgeable & compassionate rancher. :clap: Lemme guess...Willy the smack talker was the victor?

Somewhere, I suspect an OSHA manual just spontaneously burst into flames. You're right; the opening was too far towards the top of his head and needed to drain. No chute in that pasture? Plan B!

Bowl of cubes with the last 63 Meloxicam pills; opened the tailgate of the Polaris so it was at just the right height. I took my position in the bed. He let me mash and squeeze out more pus and never stopped eating. Whipped out the blade, figured I'd only have one chance to make a decent cut. Bless his big, stupid heart, he didn't even bellow, just jerked his head back for a moment and resumed eating. Got out a little more and didn't press my luck trying to flush but he has a steady stream of goo. Sprayed with diluted iodine and called it good for now.

And yes, I'm assuming Willy was the victor, even though he's not even 3 and Johnson is 5. Willy is kind of an azz - no way would I try doctoring him in the pasture.

That's rockstar status right there!!
Good job!

Had a halter broke, puppy of a bull come thru the sale ring a few weeks ago.
I laughed so hard. None of the guys in ring would get near him! Bunch a Nancy's.

Latest posts