Hematoma

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
Re: Heifer with head butt injury. The swelling is significantly decreased. Still going to have vet see her tomorrow. I would have had him out Thur or Fri but he had a death in his spouses family. There is no limp.

I like Dr Stansfield. Temp normal, ultrasound showed organized hematoma no pus. Should be fine. No bone or joint issues and no involvement of udder. Should see complete recovery in 3 to 4 weeks.

inyati13":e5l473ay said:
TennesseeTuxedo":e5l473ay said:
I'd get a second opinion.

You bird. :lol:

Hahahah...I was kidding...to a point, but did you ever stop to think why it is when we go to the doc and get a scarey diagnosis we go get that "second opinion" but when we hear what we are hoping to hear we take it as gospel?

Classic example: Week before last our little house dog, Bebe, was very puny so I asked my oldest daughter to run her over the the big box pet store for a diagnosis. They told her the dog had a cancerous growth in her anal area and to quote the vet "she's on borrowed time" and must have surgery in the next 4-5 days to the tune of $1,200. They did prescribe a couple of antibiotics to deal with an infection she had in her anal sac and sent the dog home. I told them thanks but no thanks to the surgery and we took her to a local small animal vet for a "second opinion". They agreed with the infection diagnosis and the antibiotics prescribed but they were skeptical about the cancer. They did say it would be a good idea to bring her back in a week or so and they would put her under anesthesia and thoroughly flush her anal sacs and check out a small knotty growth that had them concerned.

I dropped her at the vet this morning and that's where our little friend of 12 years is right now. The doc called me about an hour ago and sure enough he's 90% sure she has cancer so he offered me two options: 1- perform a biopsy to have the growth analyzed before taking further actions or 2- he would go ahead and attempt to remove the tumor today. I could tell by the sound of his voice he wasn't too confident in his skills in removing the growth today so I said let's just go with a biopsy and make our plans accordingly.

Second opinions are a tricky matter but I'm still glad we got one.

TennesseeTuxedo":srd7j3a4 said:
inyati13":srd7j3a4 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":srd7j3a4 said:

Hahahah...I was kidding...to a point, but did you ever stop to think why it is when we go to the doc and get a scarey diagnosis we go get that "second opinion" but when we hear what we are hoping to hear we take it as gospel?

Classic example: Week before last our little house dog, Bebe, was very puny so I asked my oldest daughter to run her over the the big box pet store for a diagnosis. They told her the dog had a cancerous growth in her anal area and to quote the vet "she's on borrowed time" and must have surgery in the next 4-5 days to the tune of $1,200. They did prescribe a couple of antibiotics to deal with an infection she had in her anal sac and sent the dog home. I told them thanks but no thanks to the surgery and we took her to a local small animal vet for a "second opinion". They agreed with the infection diagnosis and the antibiotics prescribed but they were skeptical about the cancer. They did say it would be a good idea to bring her back in a week or so and they would put her under anesthesia and thoroughly flush her anal sacs and check out a small knotty growth that had them concerned.

I dropped her at the vet this morning and that's where our little friend of 12 years is right now. The doc called me about an hour ago and sure enough he's 90% sure she has cancer so he offered me two options: 1- perform a biopsy to have the growth analyzed before taking further actions or 2- he would go ahead and attempt to remove the tumor today. I could tell by the sound of his voice he wasn't too confident in his skills in removing the growth today so I said let's just go with a biopsy and make our plans accordingly.

Larry, I hope your dog recovers and the biopsy is negative. I love Blue, he is a dog but a dog can be one he$$ of a friend. When you are alone all day every day, it becomes a great value having something to interact with. But if I reach a point near the conclusion of his life span, I doubt I would spend a great deal of money. I feel that way about our human healthcare system. Most times lots of maney is spent but the quality of life is not improved or diminishes. I wish you good luck and good spirits.

Sorry to hear that about your dog T.T. Everyone has different views on pets, I don't like to see mine suffer. Hopefully the antibiotics will help prolong her life.

TennesseeTuxedo":1rzwmcys said:
inyati13":1rzwmcys said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1rzwmcys said:

Good luck with your dog. Mine are family, so I can feel your pain when something happens with them.

TennesseeTuxedo":1pkzalf7 said:
Thank you too Branguscowgirl.
I myself have to put an old friend down next week. :( One of my old Team Penning horses is very crippled. She had unsuccessful laser surgery several years ago. Just been trying to keep her comfortable and happy. But now I have maxed out her pain meds. So the inevitable time has come.....So hard to let um go.

branguscowgirl":35cmauyg said:
TennesseeTuxedo":35cmauyg said:
I myself have to put an old friend down next week. :( One of my old Team Penning horses is very crippled. She had unsuccessful laser surgery several years ago. Just been trying to keep her comfortable and happy. But now I have maxed out her pain meds. So the inevitable time has come.....So hard to let um go.
Sad to hear that green-eyes. :(

inyati13":32qbvl80 said:
branguscowgirl":32qbvl80 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":32qbvl80 said:
Sad to hear that green-eyes. :(
Thanks Inyati.

Sure do understand the letting go thing. My best friends have been my critters from a very early age. From age 5 to 13 I had matching dog and horse! Springer Spaniel and Paint, liver and white. Was physically ill when ......

CKC1586":2xook0se said:
What IS a hematoma??? Does it always have to have an injury to cause it??
A Hematoma is a collection of Blood in the tissue. (Not in the vein or artery where it should be.) It is caused by the vein or artery becomming injured or compromised by disease. A "bruise" is a very minor form of a Hematoma. :p

Latest posts