Help

Help Support CattleToday:

Mongoose

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me where I can buy a standard headgate. Not the chute, just the headgate. I looked a Priefert and the only one of there was about 800. I found one on the net for about 250 bucks. That sound about right?

Mongoose,
The cheapest I found for just the headgate was at Tractor Supply. I think it was about $550. I'd love to know where you found one for $250?

Down here in TX I can find head gates for $300 all the time so depending on the shape of it sounds good. If you have some time you can pick up a chute cheap if you shop around and don't mind doing some leg work. You can probably pick up a chute for about $400 or $500 if you wait around for a good deal. Atleast where I'm at in TX. Picked up a chute free once I put the word out I was looking. Friends Grandpa died years ago and Chute had been sitting there ever since, They gave it to me. Still cost me $300 in gas but I got away from the family for a day ;-) Found out just last weekend that my neighbor is trying to sell one for $400 dollars. I'm gonna go look at it when I get a chance. Here in TX you can't drive too long without seeing some abondonded corals with a chute in it. If you can figure out who owns it you have a cheap chute. Good luck.

Walt

I would suggest that you go to some equipment and farm auctions . I purchased a Priefert 91 headcatch for $160 about two months ago. I see them pretty regularly in this area at equipment sales. You can also check with some local used farm equipment dealers if they don't have what you are looking for, they can surely direct you to someone in the business that can help you find what you are looking for. Trey

TREY-L":2l47lx9r said:
I purchased a Priefert 91 headcatch for $160

That would be perfect. We dont have an equipment auctions around here, or else I would go to them for sure. We have the TN Trader, but I have been looking in there FOREVER, people just aint sellin any right now. Was that head catch brand new, if not i dont care. Where did you get?

The headcatch wasn't brand new, but it was in really great shape. I bought it at an auction in Springhill TN. There are alot of generic manual headcatches on the equipment dealer lots in my area. If you can locate someone that trades in used farm equipment, i.e. tractors, plows, bushhogs, discs, etc., you should be able to find a decent one without any problem.
Trey

Place a want ad in the newspaper. I bought one for $50.00 and one for #60.00, just old used manual head gates. Like said before look around for someone who had gotten out of the cattle business they may have one, that you can buy cheap.

tryinhard

Check Craig's List in your area, too ... http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/tn. We picked up an old Priefert manual one for $100 from a listing there. A little grease and she's workin' fine. Also picked up cattle panels, a hog feeder, creep feeder, two shelters, etc. from the same guy that listed the headgate. Got a bargain on the whole lot. Just take the time to look around, you'll find something.

Didn't buy a chute. Made one out of a couple of stock panels attached to four posts, then attached the headgate to the front posts. Works like a charm. Just leave one side hinged so you can open it if you have a cow go down.

Latest posts