Help with sale barn process

Help Support CattleToday:

MistyMorning

Reaction score
I have never brought cattle to the sale barn and need to get some understanding of the process. Can someone please explain how they come up with heavies vs lights. Do they prefer lights and why?
Is that for steers or bull calfs only or heifers also? Any other info besides those questions would be helpful. Thanks.

MistyMorning":3wl6iuf5 said:
I have never brought cattle to the sale barn and need to get some understanding of the process. Can someone please explain how they come up with heavies vs lights. Do they prefer lights and why?
Is that for steers or bull calfs only or heifers also? Any other info besides those questions would be helpful. Thanks.

Misty just take your cattle to the sale barn and unload them as instructed by the people there. They'll sell them and you pick up the check. Information at this point about things like lights and heavies probably won't alter the outcome if you're new at it. Just stay for the sale and talk with the folks around you. Ain't no magic bullet for learning about cattle related issues. I'd compare it to learning to swim without going near the water. You have to just jump in.

MistyMorning":320ge3w2 said:

Look for the old crusty fellows with the bib overall's on with a roll in their pocket big enough to choke a mule.
Stay away from big hats and belt buckles the size of hub caps.
As stated previously you might want to start attending the local sale and enrolling in salebarn 101.

WIsh you were here. I could give you a gooood initiation. I am old and crusty and do wear bibs but still working on the big roll.

Seriously the other posters are giving the correct advice. If you have more than one option of salebarns do some homework before you go. There may be a difference in what the prices are at each place.

MistyMorning":1eqs3qjx said:

Why ? What are you selling ?

"Steers cost less to feed than heifers and are valued higher when finished for slaughter. Bulls are not usually desirable for a backgrounding program because of their behavior and disposition.
Therefore, most backgrounders castrate bulls upon arrival. Castrating bulls at this stage can drastically reduce gains and can be a significant cost to the backgrounder. Value differences that exist between different weights of feeder steers and heifers are determined by the prevailing costs of growing cattle. The cost of gain is much less in a lighter calf than in a heavier calf. Lighter calves (<600 pounds) generally gain more cost effectively on forages than heavier calves (>700 pounds). Therefore, the lighter feeder calves are more desirable."

Misty,
The buyers will buy the calves based on their needs at the moment and the size, condition, frame, health, and other factors will figure into what they will give for a calf. Most of the time, lighter calves will bring more per pound than heavier calves. Right now, lighter calves are bringing more---some 350 weight calves are bringing 1.80 per pound while some 700 lb calves are bringing 1.25 per pound. Different classes of cattle affect those prices and those are just examples. There are times when there is not much demand for lighter calves and heavier ones will bring about the same per pound. Those are the times you want to sell your calves heavier. When the lighter ones are alot higher per pound, you market your calves lighter.
First rule, do not ever just drop your calves off at a barn unannounced and drive off from the sale and wait at home for your check. You want the owner/operator to be familiar with your name when your cattle come in. If you have not taken animals there before, you need to call the owner/manager and tell him who you are, where you are located and tell him you are thinking about bringing (describe your cattle and their care) him some cattle to see if you want to use his barn in the future. If you have more than just 4 or 5, ask him to come out and look at the cattle and give you an idea what he thinks they will bring or what he will set them in at.
This is where you let him guide you. Tell him you intend to stay and watch them sell and ask him where to unload them, what is the best time to get them there, when he thinks they will sell if you get them there at that time, if he has buyers for that type of cattle, and anything else you can think of. Also ask him if you should tell them to send them to a certain alleyman for penning. The key here is to get the owner/manager to have a mental committment toward your calves the first time. Make sure he is familiar with your name and you are a potential future customer.
After you check the cattle in, if the sale has not started, find the owner/manager and introduce yourself and let him know you have unloaded your cattle and what you have brought. If the sale has started, just go up to the ring in between cattle and tell him who you are and your cattle are there and you just wanted him to know you made it. This will refresh his mind about your name. If you are too shy or you cannot figure out who is in charge, then go to the office and write down your name and how many cattle you brought and tell the person to please give this message to the owner, he wanted you to let him know when your calves arrived. When your cattle come in the ring, he should call out your name and tell the people the cattle are farm fresh and you are there.
If they do not introduce your cattle and tell where they came from or anything about them, after you have done all this, then they simply do not do a very good job for you and they do not provide very good personal service.
Basically, there are 3 options you have to protect your cattle. You can set a minimum price when you unload them, they will put it on the check-in slip, you can bid on your cattle, or you can "no-sale" them before they leave the ring if they did not bring enough. With your inexperience, I would not recommend you do these, unless you want to set a minimum price when you check them in.
If your calves sold satisfactory, make sure you tell the owner afterward that you appreciate his help and how well your calves did. If they did not do well, you can let him know that, also. If you do not feel you can do this during a sale, just call him after the sale to let him know.
To get the best service, they need to be familiar with your name, the potential you bring them, and that you are there watching to judge for yourself. The market is good right now, cattle will sell well everywhere. However, when the market is inconsistent, or poor, that is when you really have to be on top of it to protect yourself.
It has been talked about many times, but you cannot expect anyone else to take care of your money as well as you do. Those cattle are money, so do not stop your part of the marketing until that animal has been sold.
As you get more experienced, you will find out there are alot of things you can do to help get the most money out of your cattle. Those things include, pregnancy checking or not, checking 1-2 year old animals in as calves or cows, having them group certain animals to sell together, bidding on your animals, make sure nothing is limping or injured or sick, (if it is, sell it seperate so they won't suspect problems with your other animals), if an animal gets hurt at the sale before it is sold, make sure they sell it as injured at the sale and pay you insurance money to make up the difference in what it would have brought if it were uninjured ( you pay insurance premiums on every animal you sell, it is covered from the time it leaves your farm), stand out on the walkway above your animals and let people know they are yours, they are farm fresh, and what kind of care they have had (all it takes is to get one more buyer interested and you have a bidding situation). Above all, be honest---you want people to want your animals next time. There are other ways, but these are some that can work.
Sorry for the long post, hope something in here helps---Good luck

First thing I'd do is talk to the sale barn field-man, tell him what you have for sale.
In your area, you don't want to sell light feeder cattle just yet, wait another month for some grass-cattle sales.
Heavier feeder cattle could be sold now, would've been better a couple weeks ago.
The field-man (or woman) will direct you when to sell, how to sell (don't get them water logged right before they come in the ring, etc) what time to bring the cattle in, approximate time they'll sell, and he should give you an approximate weight and price.
Good luck! ;-)

Stocky, this is good information for all of us beginners. Thank you.

I would add that even from my limited experience, I see a big difference between sale barns. MM, if you have a choice you might want to ask some others that have used both sale barns which one they would recommend and why.

Jim

My thoughts are a little different than West Dakota. The field man will come in later, if at all. The owner/operator/manager will either be doing the auctioning, running the ring, or sitting beside the auctioneer. He will be setting in the price of the cattle. He is the one you need to talk to. Some places the owner will have you work with the field man on logistics, which alley to pen, etc. but it is the owner you want contact with, he is the one where the money is and he is the boss. When you only go through a field man, you do not have the mental committment from the owner and then it is the fieldman whose job it is to give you some lame duck excuse as to why the price was bad or the service was bad. If it is the owner who has to apologize for bad service, he will have someone's rear end on the line. No one will take care of your cattle as well as you, why put another person in between you and the man responsible for getting the money?

Thanks so much guys for the information, Stocky, upfrombottom and West dakota, that was exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Caustic, cowdirt and Kenny, I do plan making a couple of trips with one of my neighbors to get a look see at the operations available. P.S. HE is crusty! :lol2: :nod:

dun":oz2b97kh said:
MistyMorning":oz2b97kh said:
HE is crusty! :lol2: :nod:
If you don;t take your annual shower before you go you will be too

I would ask you to go to the salebarn with me, but I think it's best we stick to watching on-line auctions together.

P.S. when are you going to get rid of your "annual protest to winter"?

dun":3plksdoe said:
MistyMorning":3plksdoe said:

Come on Dun, don't you know she NEVER does that before she sheds off that winter hair? :cowboy: ;-)

we have two sale barns we take our calves to. The one we like the best is usually alittle lower in price but not by much, we like the owner and the whole sale barn/ring etc. we always get top dollar so thats where they go. the other sale barn sell more calves but they are not as personal and we just dont know those people and actually we do well selling there too it's just we like the other better. go figure

MistyMorning":17ektjpx said:
dun":17ektjpx said:
MistyMorning":17ektjpx said:

I would ask you to go to the salebarn with me, but I think it's best we stick to watching on-line auctions together.

P.S. when are you going to get rid of your "annual protest to winter"?
It's gone!

ya'll sure aint in fl..good luck with any of the above..where ya want the check sent is al they ask here

i asked a seller once how he was buyin em when he saw em for all of 30 sec in the ring...he said its less than 350 lbs and black..im buyin em all...he bought alotta cattl too

snickers":2air9bjv said:
we have two sale barns we take our calves to. The one we like the best is usually alittle lower in price but not by much, we like the owner and the whole sale barn/ring etc. we always get top dollar so thats where they go. the other sale barn sell more calves but they are not as personal and we just dont know those people and actually we do well selling there too it's just we like the other better. go figure

I am confused the calf's at both salebarns are headed for Wolf Brand Chili and you pick one with lower prices for the atmosphere. Do they have pole dancing. I might give up a nickel a pound as well.

Latest posts