Help please Sick Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford2

Reaction score
Hi I have a 9 day old calf I got it at 3 days old, it got colostrum at almost 2 days old. 5 days ago it started scouring, yesterday it started having bloody scours, I had to tube feed it in the morning, and I gave it a shot of Exceed (vet told me to) That evening it took me an hour to get 3 pints down it via bottle. Today it stood up wouldn't take the bottle. So had to tube it, it stood there not seeming to care, this evening it fought me tubing it, still won't suck ,and if I put milk in his mouth he lets it run back out, doesn't swallow, unless i hold his head straight up. Now It's poo looks like yellow water. No blood.

Sulfa bolus (Calfspan or some such), electrolytes, and Resflor usually bring them around. The colostrum he got wouldn't have done him any good at 2 days of age so he could be a problem calf going forward.

When they are scouring bad, the milk replacer can make things worse. I would recommend tubing him with a prepared electrolyte mixture. There are a number of them designed for that exact purpose. Your Vet can recommend one. He may have some to sell or you can get it at most farm stores. The Vet should be able to talk you through how to use the electrolyte mixture. I would suggest at least the next two feedings. Never mix the electrolye product with the milk replacer and be sure there is time enough between feeding the different products.

Unfortunately the calf needed to get the colostrum within the first 24 hours. Only for the first 24 hours can it absorb whole antibodies through its small intestine wall. It still provided good nutrition though.

Hi the 2 days before I started tubing him, I gave him electrolytes 3 times and a scour bulose, after that he seemed to get worse, I will give him electrolytes again in the morning.

Thank you for all the quick reply's , does anyone have any experience with a calf that used to drink from a bottle, but now won't even try to suck one.?That's part of this calf's problem.

It won't suck because it's weak and dehydrated now. Tube feed water/ electrolytes for a day or 2. Once it regains some vigor, ease back into milk replacer. Keep it warm also.

No problem. They dehydrate quickly at that age. May need IV fluids. Keep the calf warm because they drop body temp quickly too. Keep in mind this calf didn't get the boost from colostrum that it needed, so you may be fighting a real uphill battle. Best of luck

While simple electrolytes are very helpful, you can also get ones that include a nutritional supplement that is specifically designed for scouring calves. I keep one on hand called Electrolyte H.E. from Pfizer. It adds protein and minerals as an energy source. I needed to get it from a Vet as it is labeled for "Veterinary use only". It comes in a package with two compartments and must be mixed together just before use. The Vet told me it was designed to not only re-hydrate and replace electrolytes, but to also dry up the runny poop and replace some of the nutrition you are missing once you stop the milk. It must be fed alone. Never mix it with the milk. It has done wonders here.

bball":q8o7n6k1 said:
No problem. They dehydrate quickly at that age. May need IV fluids. Keep the calf warm because they drop body temp quickly too. Keep in mind this calf didn't get the boost from colostrum that it needed, so you may be fighting a real uphill battle. Best of luck
I agree about the IV fluids. You are right they dehydrate very fast at that age. We had one this year needed some IV fluids as it was dehydrated due to severe scours. That gave her enough strength to nurse, then we gave sulfa pills which cleared her up quick.

Latest posts