Help- new iron skillet

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I'm going back to a iron skillet, (frying pan) I'm done with frying pans warping and wearing out after a couple of months. But it's been a few (many) years since I cooked on one. How do I;

A) Season one, start it out new.

B) Break it in, condition it.

C) Keep it seasoned and ready to cook over the years

D) Clean it

Okay how do I keep care of my new baby?

Thanks,
Alan

Also, is there rules that apply, such as "never let it get red hot"???? just looking to get a good frying pan.

Thanks,
Alan

Here is a link to a website that explains it better than I can.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4716948_do-cast ... n=yssp_art
About the only thing I'd add is refrain from cooking tomato sauces in them. It really takes the seasoning off.

I don't know why you would let one get red hot. After years of use some will get kind of crusty on the bottom from stove cooking. Mom would take it and put it in a wood fire to burn it off and reseason.

Some of the new ones are pre-seasoned and they also have some good cast iron cook ware that is coated with enamel. I bought one of the enamel ones last year and I really like it. The pre-seasoned ones are convenient but it really takes time and use to really get them right. Biggest rule to me is to just rinse it clean and dry it well after each use and when using it don't hold back on the oil, butter or lard.

Jogeephus":3v11xy6o said:
Biggest rule to me is to just rinse it clean and dry it well after each use and when using it don't hold back on the oil, butter or lard.

Note the words just rinse it clean. No detergent necessary. After you've used this one for a while and it's seasoned good, it will beat anything non-stick that you own.

Jogeephus":2riamo77 said:
Some of the new ones are pre-seasoned and they also have some good cast iron cook ware that is coated with enamel. I bought one of the enamel ones last year and I really like it. The pre-seasoned ones are convenient but it really takes time and use to really get them right. Biggest rule to me is to just rinse it clean and dry it well after each use and when using it don't hold back on the oil, butter or lard.
What brand of enameled did you buy, Jo? I've thought about buying some of it, but it's so dang expensive I didn't want to get something I hated and had paid a fortune for.
And good grief, do you ever sleep? :lol2:

Farmwriter its a Tramontina. I got the hunter green color. I think I paid about $50 for it but its really made and I expect to get a lot of years out of it. What I like is its thickness. Really holds the heat well and have yet to stick anything in the bottom of it.

Sleep? Haven't had much of that lately due to the seasons changing. Hopefully the transition will be over shortly and life will get a little easier.

Latest posts