Help me pick AI sires

Help Support CattleToday:

The ones I've seen (not very many) were pretty masculine. Good looking cattle just not real feminine.
Mainline may be off market now. I haven't looked in a while. He'd fit right in with in focus and trust and if they have semen on him it would be cheaper if he's not on the main lineup anymore.

So the bulls with -$EN will throw calves that will need supplement feed instead of just grass in the summer and hay in the winter?
I'm new to this so I'm trying to learn by asking?

The bulls with negative $en have higher energy needs to maintain condition.That's my understanding. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

$en is a maternal trait. It is based on the daughter of that particular bulls feed efficiancy. If you notice alot of the pedigrees that have stayed fairly traditional like the green garden cows, the growth is not quite as good but they are a whole lot more efficient mommas. Alot of the new angus push for growth, sometimes at all costs. If you can find the ones that grow really well but still produce heifers that won't eat you out of house and home then you're on the right track.

cow pollinater":2lnpsim2 said:
$en is a maternal trait. It is based on the daughter of that particular bulls feed efficiancy. If you notice alot of the pedigrees that have stayed fairly traditional like the green garden cows, the growth is not quite as good but they are a whole lot more efficient mommas. Alot of the new angus push for growth, sometimes at all costs. If you can find the ones that grow really well but still produce heifers that won't eat you out of house and home then you're on the right track.

I don't see many BA bulls that are positive for $EN other than OCC.

Ok, mainline is 18 bucks a straw, in focus is 50.
What are the main differences? Worth 32 bucks a straw different?
I know in focus is proven but I haven't heard much on mainline.

Personally I'd spend the extra $64 bucks for 2 straws of "the good stuff" on the best cow. (If one is actually a bit better than the other). On that note, have you thought of mixing it up a bit, selecting a certain type bull for each of them? ...Maybe a growthier continental for your larger framed char cross cow, a LBW brangus bull for your smaller red angus and an angus bull for your gertx cows? Thats the real beauty of AI, dialing up the best fit for each!

I did consider mixing things up. Just debating playing it safe or rolling the dice with them. If i mix it up I'm going to have a world of questions for you all.
I really like the idea of breeding those 2 reds to something that will make them "pop"

Dial up the influence you need in each, just keep in mind what each can handle. I wouldn't take the risk on any higher birth weight terminal bulls at all, but thats just me. If you did a terminal (like Char on your CharX) I'd pick one with a low to mod BW.

I think that until I have a better handle on Things I'm going to use in focus. Just seems the best choice for across the board improvement

ousoonerfan22":2dpiau2f said:
What about Hoover Dam? A friend went to a sale this past spring and he said their Hoover Dam heifers were the best he had ever seen.
I think Isomade was at this sale and maybe bought a bull there?

Somebody on here liked some calves out of Image Maker.
This is the In Focus son I bought at the sale.
c787b9160cf08bc96cabbd30c8328c9d.jpg

We have used Trust for the last 3 years, and plan to use him again this year. Extra volume, capacity, good feet, and slick hair is something that our Trust calves have been very consistent with giving us. Calving first daughters in 2 weeks, they sure look the part at this stage.

Changed my mind yet once again.
I'm going to use mainline on the 2 brockle brafords, and the herf x Gert.
And in In focus on the bwf heifer, the char, and the 2 red angus

Dangit I'm getting antsy to do this for the first time. Like a kid in a candy store. The loc vet will be on standby if I can't get a rod passed.

Have you checked with your ABS rep? the last time I tried to split a small order down unit by unit my customer got screwed. :mad: Your best bet may be to buy ten units of one or the other. Pick the one that is best mated to the most cows. Mainline is pretty similar to In Focus epd wise but has a little better $en and more muscle. I wouldn't breed him to heifers of unknown parentage. Not real flashy but good calves. The reason he's cheap is because he's off the main lineup. he is proven with high accuraccy.

I have to buy in lots of 5 straws. Mainline is $18/ straw, and in focus $50/ straw.
In focus is going to the questionable ones, mainline to the ones I know can handle it. Just to see how they differ in the calves. I debated mainline or trust on the solid
Cows.

I do like In Focus, but this might get your gears turning even more... look at Limousin "Justice" - he could be the safe "pop" you're looking for!

Might be a good pick across the board. LBW, growth, slamming steers or maybe even retained heifers... any down side?

hooknline":3ryvsb0h said:
Don't really know. Since I don't have a tank, Have only talked with him via phone or email and don't have an established relationship, and the fact he's going to help me with further hands on, I'd like to buy it thru him and abs.

sounds like a great reason to buy from him, and ABS..!

good luck Hook....

with the cross section of advice you have gotten in this thread you will need it...
one person bashing angus dispostion and the next advocating limousine.....talk about wide swings in opinion....

I know that jscunn has a good eye for bulls and results and would trust his advice....
Hoover Dam would be the bull I looked at most hard. His sire has done very well for me....
my CC&7 calves might be the quietest I have ever had....

Latest posts