Help me determine how to

Help Support CattleToday:

BTRANCH

Reaction score
figure my carrying cost per head. I have all my 2007 data available now and want to budget for 2008. I realize it is a little late, but better late than never, right!

I have 6 cows, 1 bull and 2 horses that I will have full time. I understand that in calculating feed and hay needs, it is based on animal units (AU). 1 AU is a 1000lb animal and that a pair is considered 1 AU. Here is where I am having trouble: when the calves are weaned are they considered 1 AU or 1/2 an AU since they are only about 500 lbs.

Maybe I am overthinking this, but just curious what others do? Also, do you divide the vet bills equally amoung the animals or if you have one that went twice or cost more when it went, do you keep that cost directly associated with that animal alone?

I am getting ready to sell my 2007 calves and want to see how bad I did. I know I did better on hay this year, just because prices in my area were back to reasonable.

Am I missing anything else?

ok maybe i can help you firgure your costs.start by adding up all the costs you had for the cows for the year.an then do the horses the same way.do not add the 2 figures togather.because the horses cant cashflow themselves.now when you sell the calves for the year.take what they brought an minus off your expenses.an that will tell you how much if anything the cows made.then minus the horses cost from that an see if you made anything or went in the hole.

Can't remember what cattle source this came from but a replacement heifer will eat 2/3 what a cow will on average. So any replacements we keep or steers to slaughter are calculated at that amount when working out individual numbers.

Latest posts