Help! Is she in heat? Urgent

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks

Reaction score
Hi, urgent question re 4 yr old angus who was synced then ai'd 25-26 days ago. We had just stopped closely watching for heats last nite then saw a steer trying to ride her 7 am today. She batted him away strongly. We figured, no heat. This eve, though, she has tried once to ride another cow (other cow walked away). No discharge. Steer still hanging close, nuzzling her backside, whispering sweet nothings. But when he tries to mount she takes a few steps forward/away. But not batting him. He is somewhat smaller (18 mos) and shorter. Maybe she's not standing cause he's too small to get a good mount so she's annoyed?

Is it more likely she's coming into heat, or leaving heat? AI asap? Have called tech 2 hrs ago but haven't heard back. Will noon tomorrow be too late?
Thanks!

Thanks, Slick and Hook. If so, will noon work? AI tech has gone to ground so a 6am AI probably isn't in the cards...

Keep watching her if possible.. perhaps she'll be standing at night and that would make noon a perfect time (from what I hear).

It certainly doesn't sound like she's bred!

I hear ya Sky, but so far despite our best efforts we can't seem to keep the dang cows in lately, let alone a bull. I do also like that we can use different sires even though we have a small herd. For example, we are getting really good growth on our calf sired by Weigh Up, but I wouldn't have used him on our little heifers.

We AI'd 11 and (so far) had to re-AI 3. Sure hope they caught this time...I know lots of folks on here do embryos and that's getting waay too complicated for my feeble brain and meager skills! :lol2:

Thanks, all, for the advice. We re-AI'd the one in question midday yesterday and tech said the timing seemed good.

Latest posts