Help-advice on leasing my pasture out

Help Support CattleToday:

Jzur55

Reaction score
I bought my grandparents house and farm a few years back. They had a cattle operation here set up with around 20 acres of pasture, fence is all set up and separated for alternating. Has a 1 acre pond and complete loading facilities. Also have silage storage and grinding equipment. We havn't grazed the land in 2 years although we did hay it last year. Its good pasture made a lot of good hay. Had a local family cattle operation ask me about leasing it the other day. Wondering the best way to put a value on what I have. The average per acre lease in my county is around 40 dollars but with my setup I'm thinking it would be worth more. I'd also be interested in leasing him the land in exchange for some stock, as I'd like to get my own herd started. Any advice on how to proceed would be GREATLY appreciated!

Are they wanting the house too? It sounds like a nice place and I would be leery about leasing it unless you are fairly sure they will take good care of it. There is not enough money involved to take a risk on somebody tearing it up or abusing the forage.
If it was 200 acres the story would be different but for around a $1000 why risk it?

Now for the none of my business question. How can you afford a house and 20 acres but can't afford 5 cows to put on it?

I agree it's not a lot of money compared to the possible risks. They are family friends but who knows. I'm just looking at options. I'm not experienced in owning cattle although I've been around them my whole life. Hoping I might gain some knowledge from the renters doing a short term deal. Biggest concern is keeping the pasture down as our current deal is a local farmer haying it twice a year and sharing 1/3 of the crop just to keep it mowed. Thought grazing it might be a better plan as I don't have the equipment to do it as of now.

Just not ready to buy some stock and try it on my own. I could afford it, just afraid of what I don't know having never done it. Thanks for your response. Any further guidance much appreciated!

So my initial thought is... If you know a local farmers that bales the hay would he/she not be a source of advice for you with your cows? Or buy however many yearlings you could run thru the summer on your grass and try it out. Wouldn't make you a fortune, but would get your feet wet. Might be an easier start. Just a thought.

:2cents: I think your current deal is the way to go.

Income from 20 acres is not a game changer. Your definitly going to insure yourself more work and expenses running a few cows yourself. Keep it simple and enjoyable for yourself.

Latest posts