Hello from Deep East Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

The missus said she thinks she saw another late arrival down there the other day. Can't confirm that but if it's true, that would make 12…not counting the two that didn't make it. Will try to mow a widow lady's yard tomorrow morning…then see what I can get to out here…temps getting up in the high 80's and low 90's with crazy high humidity…will have to remember to pack plenty of fluids. Still chompin' at the bit…all this rain has been making me stir crazy.

Incidentally, with all the grass, the cows are getting somewhat "full figured"…if you get my meaning. Looking at the bull the other day, he looks like he has grown quite a bit (about 2 years old when we bought him in 2021)…he's looking pretty good this spring…big ol' black hulk looking beast…I'll try to get a pic. He was having a bellowing contest with a bull (possibly simmental) across the highway the other day…sounded like Jurassic Park out here.
Correction: bull purchased in 2022

Oddly enough, with just a couple of days of dry weather, I was able to mow the SE corner of my mother's yard today. It's bad about holding water but I didn't even make tracks with the zero turn…I figured it would still be holding water…I figured wrong but I'm not complaining. Should be able to get over there with the tractor & chainsaw next weekend and get that giant hackberry tree moved that fell a few weeks ago…then on to other 6 giant hackberry trees and finally the huge live oak that fell across the dam…that will be "interesting". Then a few fence repairs in some not too critical areas. Hopefully be able to get the cows up again and get the two calves that escaped last time + the new arrival(s).

And the widow lady's yard is mowed as is mine. Spent a full day today mowing…whew!

Last edited:
Folks down here in east Texas and Deep South: keep plenty of fluids handy if working outside. This is the good ol' hot and humid months. Today, you could break a sweat standing still in the shade. Mowing the widow lady's yard, I got soaked as much as I would walking out in the recent rains…sweating like a politician trying to tell the truth…lol

Folks down here in east Texas and Deep South: keep plenty of fluids handy if working outside. This is the good ol' hot and humid months. Today, you could break a sweat standing still in the shade. Mowing the widow lady's yard, I got soaked as much as I would walking out in the recent rains…sweating like a politician trying to tell the truth…lol
It's only May... 😄

Bite off a piece of air and chew it.
I will take this any day over cold and wet.

Bite off a piece of air and chew it.
I will take this any day over cold and wet.
Amen, brother! If it ain't hot enough to go swimming, and the water in the pool or lake be warm. I don't like it! The best times of my life have been in the summer. I'd rather it be 95 everyday than to ever have weather below 60! I like what the ladies wear in summer a LOT better. A thong swim suit just beats the h*ll out of a snow mobile suit! :)

If you are E or NE of me (Killeen/Copperas Cove) BOHICA. Bend Over, Here It Comes Again.
Horizontal rain by the buckets and dime size hail so far. Worse up towards Gatesville.
These cells will be running ENE across the State tonight.

If you are E or NE of me (Killeen/Copperas Cove) BOHICA. Bend Over, Here It Comes Again.
Horizontal rain by the buckets and dime size hail so far. Worse up towards Gatesville.
These cells will be running ENE across the State tonight.
I was in Waco last week and there was water everywhere. They are getting it again right now.

Another slight chance of rain tonight or tomorrow…nothing like the last few weeks. Hay man is trying to get out here soon. Things drying out enough to see about getting the lime on the rehab pasture. Trying to contact the dirt man to redress the rock over the culverts. And I'll have the chainsaw and grapple working this weekend. I'll see how many of these hackberry trees I can cut up and move in a day and a half - that's pretty much what my weekends are…1-1/2 days…lol

Another slight chance of rain tonight or tomorrow…nothing like the last few weeks. Hay man is trying to get out here soon. Things drying out enough to see about getting the lime on the rehab pasture. Trying to contact the dirt man to redress the rock over the culverts. And I'll have the chainsaw and grapple working this weekend. I'll see how many of these hackberry trees I can cut up and move in a day and a half - that's pretty much what my weekends are…1-1/2 days…lol
And here it is…been raining about 30 minutes…no high winds but some serious thunder and lightening. Pretty sure the front has moved past…now it's just a question of how long the rain will last…glad I got the yards mowed Monday. I think the worst of it was a little north of here (Rusk County, Smith County, etc.). Still got some serious rolling thunder and some big ol' bolts of lightening here and there…yeehaw!

What's it look like on your side of the river @Chevroid?

You will get some more, because I'm getting it now, and what I get, you get later thanks to my natural sharing nature.. (you can wait till July and August to thank me for this rain when I share drought with you as well)

Camping up at texoma lake and got ran in the camper by over 2" last night. This happened while I was reading about "el Nina" going to be extra dry this year. Cows standing belly deep in rye grass and 70 bales hauled in this week. Sure confusing this time of year

Latest posts