heifers possibly bred to their siblings?

Help Support CattleToday:

toxxie24

Reaction score
I recently found a group of heifers that have been pastured with their bull siblings. they range from 12 to 18 months. i am sure that some , if not all, may be bred. they are out of pretty good stock and look really good: the price is also right. i considered buying them and treating them with lutelyse, then breeding them all together later. also, considered having them preg checked and only using lutelyse with the ones that were way too young. just wanting some opinions.the sire was simangus. the mommas were angus cross cows.

If they are not very far along, I would lute all them, give them a couple of months to get their " ïnsides" all back to normal and then breed them so that they calve when i wanted the calves. But since some are 18 months you say, if they have some decent size and growth, then you could keep them bred and get a few calves. The thing is, if they don't have some good growth, then you are asking them to do a job that their systems might not be ready to do.
Actually with the age spread, I would probably be splitting them into 2 groups, so that ones of similiar size and age are calving together. I also would not keep any of the resulting calves due to the inbred of siblings.

It really depends on their age, condition, and if you are set up to deal with some heifers that could have potential problems.

farmerjan":7i482azu said:
Since some are 18 months you say, if they have some decent size and growth, then you could keep them bred and get
a few calves.
Preg check the large ones. Keep the ones large enough pg and lute all the too small without bothering to preg check.
Sell resulting calves from the the ones you keep pg as weaned calves. Too close of inbreeding stunts their feed lot
performance, so I would not want to feed them out myself.

recently preg checked the heifers. one of the youngest was bred(luted her). the rest were open. although im relieved more werent bred to their brothers, i now have to wonder why the older ones werent bred... lol....

and here I got myself 5 legged, 4 eyes, 2 headed cows out of my same bull i've used breeding dad to daughters and granddaughters to grandpa.. lol.

they usually calve at 18 months old so that must be some crazy incest gene. :dunce:

If the sire is "proven" (lots of progeny) "in-breeding" could actually be "line-breeding". The "brothers" are 1/2 the sire & the heifers are 1/2 the sire, so the offspring is only 1/2 the genes of the grand-sire.
I would be extremely concerned that they are NOT all pregnant.

toxxie24":2cro2n12 said:
recently preg checked the heifers. one of the youngest was bred(luted her). the rest were open. although im relieved more werent bred to their brothers, i now have to wonder why the older ones werent bred... lol....

Can you check where you bought these heifers to see if the rancher is having trouble with his other cattle?

If there were bulls in the pasture with your heifers, then they should have all been bred.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2eb4mbj4 said:
If the sire is "proven" (lots of progeny) "in-breeding" could actually be "line-breeding". The "brothers" are 1/2 the sire & the heifers are 1/2 the sire, so the offspring is only 1/2 the genes of the grand-sire.

The offspring could be all of the grand sire or none of the grand sire. Most likely somewhere in between, only DNA testing can say where.

vet checked the heifers last week. 5 of the 6 are approx 3.5 months bred. the open one took a one way trip to town monday morning.

I think you are on the right track. Maybe the bull siblings were not very active yet. So, if you bought they right, and you have 5 preg. then fall calves are on the way. Good Luck.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2hi1ofad said:

Heart button didn't work on this item either. I agree.

Latest posts