Heifers got into barley chop help!!

Help Support CattleToday:

JCcattle

Reaction score
2 new bred heifers, due any day, have been keeping them in barn for nights during this deep freeze here in Canada. They pushed over a couple fences and got to a few pails of barley chop and had a feast. I'm guessing it was 2.5 five gallon pails between them. Now I'm paranoid for them and their unborn calves... is there anything I can do to stop bloating or acidosis?!?!? I gave them a crunchy old hay bale they've torn into it.. so they get water? It happened in the last 6 hours that they got into the grain. Please help

I don't have experience with this, but until someone pipes up with concrete instructions, I'd probably let them have SOME water, but not a huge belly full. Hopefully someone else comes along here

Ok thanks.. just got back from checking them again.. sleepless night for me!!! One is chewing her cud, they both aren't bloated, the other has her tail out and stamping / kicking her feet, mooing at her belly and lay down in the gutter for a few moments right in front of me... so now I hope it's labour and not signs of acidosis??! Reading up on it sounds like it takes a little longer for it to happen if it does? But I have no experience with it. Only have dealt with the odd bloats.

JCcattle":3pa91dum said:
Ok thanks.. just got back from checking them again.. sleepless night for me!!! One is chewing her cud, they both aren't bloated, the other has her tail out and stamping / kicking her feet, mooing at her belly and lay down in the gutter for a few moments right in front of me... so now I hope it's labour and not signs of acidosis??! Reading up on it sounds like it takes a little longer for it to happen if it does? But I have no experience with it. Only have dealt with the odd bloats.

That description sounds like early on labor pains. With first calf heifers its common for the belly kicking and stuff when they start getting discomfort. Good Luck keep us posted. B&G

Yes I love it too!! And what do you know, the second heifer just popped her calf too! Maybe the large amount of grain induced them?! They were right ready, udders full and all. My husband swept up all the grain they scattered and it amounted to a full 5 gal pail (so they just shared 1.5 pails instead of 2) I'm guessing they will be ok other than some extra gas.. I'll update again later so you can know what happened. Thanks for your thots!

Both are bulls! Nice little ones that have both eaten. Bought these heifers in November and very happy with them :) SimAngus crosses. It's brutal cold even in the barn it's -10C and their ears will probably be a little short.. tried to dry em off but it's just so cold.

Supa Dexta":155hl537 said:
Duct tape their ears around their neck if you're worried about it.
Never heard of that one before! :idea: But that should work better than all these ear muff thingies that cows immediately try to rip off the babies!

If you get concerned they got into some feed they shouldn't, you could give them a tube of mineral oil to keep the bloating down and some magnesium oxide to move the contents through their belly faster.

I've heard mixed reviews on giving baking soda as sometimes it can foam while it's neutralizing the acid and cause bloating when there otherwise wouldn't be any.

JCcattle":2m59gnlw said:
Supa Dexta":2m59gnlw said:
Duct tape their ears around their neck if you're worried about it.
Never heard of that one before! :idea: But that should work better than all these ear muff thingies that cows immediately try to rip off the babies!

duct tape is much better

angus9259":3pocbhrw said:
If you get concerned they got into some feed they shouldn't, you could give them a tube of mineral oil to keep the bloating down and some magnesium oxide to move the contents through their belly faster.

I've heard mixed reviews on giving baking soda as sometimes it can foam while it's neutralizing the acid and cause bloating when there otherwise wouldn't be any.
Thanks, I will remember this! Hopefully there will be no next time. Thankfully they seem to be just fine so it was just a scare for me. I used to have a milk cow that would blew up a few times, managed to save her every time but it's sure no fun. We then used bloateze and hoses. But that doesn't work for every situation..
The two babies are dancing around and doing great, mamas are calm and easy to work around. And tonight I don't have to get up and check!! :banana:

angus9259":sus5191q said:

Thanks, that question did pass thru my mind about what reaction baking soda would have.. cooking and baking with it usually always makes some foaming reaction lol but that's different than a cows stomach :D

This is the first one that calved. She is just bred an angus but there's not much info on him. We will probably sell the calf as a steer in fall. The other heifer happens to be one of my younger bros 3 cows.

Latest posts