heifers calving out

Help Support CattleToday:

There are generally more calving problems with a group of heifers than with a group of cows.Some breeds are more difficult calvers as heifers, often the growthier breeds. Many ranchers have bought the heifers they are stressed about; not knowing the full pedigree of the heifers, not knowing what they are bred to. Most of those ranchers who are stressed out are less experienced, while most are in the game for a number of years. Therefore knows what to expect, and how to avoid difficulties. The right choices when it comes to bulls, selecting the right heifers for replacement, feed enough but not excessively, and so on.
Also, the ones who are stressed out speak about it way more than the more experienced ranchers.

ANAZAZI":8ouqc9uz said:
There are generally more calving problems with a group of heifers than with a group of cows.Some breeds are more difficult calvers as heifers, often the growthier breeds. Many ranchers have bought the heifers they are stressed about; not knowing the full pedigree of the heifers, not knowing what they are bred to. Most of those ranchers who are stressed out are less experienced, while most are in the game for a number of years. Therefore knows what to expect, and how to avoid difficulties. The right choices when it comes to bulls, selecting the right heifers for replacement, feed enough but not excessively, and so on.
Also, the ones who are stressed out speak about it way more than the more experienced ranchers.
ok. i get it now. so is it a lot easier when you raise the heifers your self,know their families and know the bull that they were bred to?

longhornlover3498":85g47xy7 said:
ANAZAZI":85g47xy7 said:
ok. i get it now. so is it a lot easier when you raise the heifers your self,know their families and know the bull that they were bred to?

:nod:; that is, if you know what you are doing

longhornlover3498":ztyo6ij8 said:
i'm just wondering why most ranchers stress out when their first calf heifers calve out? we never have any problems with ours.
I assume by the name you raise longhorns. They are known for very small calves and calving ease.

TexasBred":nbq36ww9 said:
longhornlover3498":nbq36ww9 said:
i'm just wondering why most ranchers stress out when their first calf heifers calve out? we never have any problems with ours.
I assume by the name you raise longhorns. They are known for very small calves and calving ease.
they are bred to a differnt breed of bull and they are not full bloods.

i don't know that we stress out, we just keep a closser eye on them, i am more observant when all of the cows are calving, it is just wisedom not stress. because when a calf is worth what it is now it is worth the extra effort.

jcarkie":i92ukzio said:
i don't know that we stress out, we just keep a closser eye on them, i am more observant when all of the cows are calving, it is just wisedom not stress. because when a calf is worth what it is now it is worth the extra effort.
BINGO!

sorry. i didnt say the correct term. on our ranch we don't treat them any differnt because the bull has a low BW and their ancestors have been doing it for thousands of years so they can too.

Latest posts