Heifers and second calves.

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
Three of our first calf heifers from last year calved last night. All in less than 325 days since they had their first calf, and one had it's calf in 306 days after it's first calf. All three calves are heifers, and it seems like most of the cows that are going really early are having heifer calves. Is there anything too this?

Early calves, we always bet they're heifers.

In fact, we had an ET calf born about 8 days post due date and it was a heifer, so we're certain it is probably bull bred. We expect everything later, to be a bull.

NEFarmwife said:

In fact, we had an ET calf born about 8 days post due date and it was a heifer, so we're certain it is probably bull bred. We expect everything later, to be a bull.

Thanks, I'm going to try and get the boss to run some numbers and see what she comes up with.

At least in my experience, heifer calves always come earlier than bull calves. Bull calves just need more time in the cooker and it doesn't matter if they're from a 1st calf heifer or 13 year old cow. I doubt if there's any correlation but any preemie I've ever had has been a heifer calf.

on average, over the course of 200 births with known breeding dates, heifer calves are 2 days earlier than bull calves.. HOWEVER, the most common gestation times differs by a whole 7 days

NEFarmwife said:

I also use that theory. Only occasionally has it been wrong.

The better half is tracking our breeding and rebreeding figures by gestation time, sex and moonphase, Might be able to draw some kind of conclusion in a year or two. Might not, I tease her about it, but it is interesting .

Latest posts