heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Sexton

Reaction score
I have a heifer that was in with a bull for six months,shes over two years old.Its been over 11 months,still no calf, but she has milk ,but her sack wont fill out .Need some help.Thanks Sexton

Sexton":2yagnre6 said:
I have a heifer that was in with a bull for six months,shes over two years old.Its been over 11 months,still no calf, but she has milk ,but her sack wont fill out .Need some help.Thanks Sexton

As cattle gestate for a little over 9 months, I'd say she either didn't settle or she has aborted. Why do you say she has milk?

Sexton welcome to the board. Your heifer is just over 24 months and it's been 11 months since she was with the bull so she was 13 mo.s old the last time she saw the bull? Maybe she wasn't sexually mature? Did anyone preg check her?

dj":q81lghe7 said:
Sexton welcome to the board. Your heifer is just over 24 months and it's been 11 months since she was with the bull so she was 13 mo.s old the last time she saw the bull? Maybe she wasn't sexually mature? Did anyone preg check her?

Barring reproductive issues, 13 mo's old is plenty old enough to breed and settle - especially as she spent 6 month's with the bull. Assuming reproductive issues, this heifer needs to grow wheels. I'm not sure what your point is.

msscamp wrote;
Barring reproductive issues, 13 mo's old is plenty old enough to breed and settle - especially as she spent 6 month's with the bull. Assuming reproductive issues, this heifer needs to grow wheels. I'm not sure what your point is.[/quote]

Don't some breeds reach sexual maturity at different times?

This is from the Babcock institute.
HEIFER GROWTH AND NUTRITION
The heifer's weight, rather than her age, determines when puberty occurs and the heat cycle begins. The first signs of heat usually appear when heifers have reached about 40% of their mature body weight. In well-fed heifers, sexual maturity usually occurs at about 11 months of age. However, heat stress and underfeeding of calves and young heifers delays sexual maturity and prevents initiation of heat cycles. In tropical regions, sexual maturity of heifers may not occur before 14 to 15 months of age.
So I guess my point was maybe she wasn't sexually mature

dj":25twdns8 said:
Don't some breeds reach sexual maturity at different times?

Yes but it's not as wide a variation as is sometimes thought. From a MARC study

MARC-table-puberty.jpg

Ok using the averages there can a 84 day spread for 22%
So almost 1/4 of the group took almost 3 mo.s longer to reach maturity. And thats the averages, the difference between breeds can spread it further. Look at the Limi's verses the Bruanvieh at 452 days or 15 mo.s 20% of the Limi's still aren't settled. And then we get to indivdual performance and the best of the best is a long ways from worse of the worse.
Or am I using this infomation wrong?

Point is - it's been 11 months since exposure to a bull - only takes 9 months gestation. So she IS NOT pregnant by YOUR BULL.
If she does in fact have milk, either someone else' bull bred her later, or someone else's calf is sucking an open heifer & brought her to her milk, or, she aborted her calf & you didn't know it.