Heifer won't stand still

Help Support CattleToday:

gertfan

Reaction score
We have a heifer that we AI'd last year due to her refusal to stand still for the bull, well we are having the same problem again this year, we werent' able to catch her in time to AI so turned her out with the bull, we have watched her and she absolutely will not stand for him to mount her. What is the problem??
It's not timing, she has been with him now for 2 cycles and we have watched her and I don't know how we could have missed it. He tries to get her on the run but he just isn't quick enough.
Any ideas or suggestions?
I have told our son if she doesnt' breed back she is gone, I waste too much time money and energy trying to get a calf out of her.

You may just not be seeing her when she's actually ready to stand for him. I've seen many of my cows/heifers that don't allow the bull to mount them in spite of the bulls repeated attempts. Many times the bull is anxious to get the job done and is trying to mount them before they're actually in standing heat. I've never had one that refused to let the bull mount her to the point where she ended up open...but I guess anything is possible!?!?

Since she likes to move I would accomodate her and put wheels under her.

dun

Shes gone through 2 cycles with the bull? Well if she comes around again, take her to town.

mnmt

The way put it if a cow or heifer wont stand for a bull or in other words wont get pregnet i would get reed of her.
Sam

I believe I would at least tie her in the chute, or put her in the head gate n put the bull in there with her. then if u still want to ship her at least you can have the thought. Whatever it might be.

tryinhard":3lrt5gex said:
I believe I would at least tie her in the chute, or put her in the head gate n put the bull in there with her. then if u still want to ship her at least you can have the thought. Whatever it might be.

That is a wreck waiting to happen.

Latest posts