Heifer that got bred to her sire

Help Support CattleToday:

Millerranch

Reaction score
I am looking at buying some Santa Gertrudis Herford cross heifers. they are all about 1000lbs and bred. The one heifer has a nice looking heifer calf on her, but... she was bred back by acident to her own sire, bull got in with them through several fences. Question is is this calf worth anything as a replacement heifer? She is about 3 months old and about 300lbs, nice looking. How quickly would this heifer get bred back? She has been with a bull for 3 months now.

thank you for the help

Tom

Is the 300 lb heifer the one who has been line bred or are you saying her mother is the one that has been line bred?

There are many threads on here about linebreeding if you search them. Many pros and cons on it. Did you look at the bull himself? Were you pleased with his looks because there will be a double concentration of it. If he's a super nice bull, then I think you'll be okay.

We've crossed half sibling to half sibling and for the most part I've been satisfied with the result, but I've not bred daughters back to the sire.

Sometimes first calving heifers take longer to breed back and I've always felt it was dependent on how much milk they give, whether they have sufficient forage and how much attention you give to your mineral program. However, you can sometimes have all three and still have an open one at preg check time.

its the calfs mother that was bred back to her own sire and had the heifer calf. I will probably just sell her after weaning her off, but she is a nice looking little heifer so we will see.

thanks for the help

Millerranch":3fl169f5 said:
its the calfs mother that was bred back to her own sire and had the heifer calf. I will probably just sell her after weaning her off, but she is a nice looking little heifer so we will see.

thanks for the help
It isn't only about what she looks like. From here on it is about the odds the product she turns out will worth something.

In my opinion it is all about the sire's genetics. Grandad did that, dad did that, and I have done it. There are plenty of train wrecks out there that should be culled and their breeding did not involve being bred back to a sire.

I would not sell a good heifer because of this breeding. Some of the best cows I have dealt with came to be just as you describe.

There are folks out there who breed back to the sire and then again as a grand sire. I never want any part of that no matter how good the calf turns out.

There is no reason to cull her at this point. If she is inbred or not it is her own performance that counts. If there is nothing wrong with the heifer, then who cares if she is inbred, if she turns out to be sub par or have obvious faults, then cull her. Inbreeding generally makes less great cattle, but there are also many functional cos that are inbred. Time will tell!

thanks for all the replys. I think I will keep her and see what she becomes.

thanks and great site. I look forward to being part of the community.

Tom

Latest posts