Heifer Losing Weight

Help Support CattleToday:

Aggie Chick

Reaction score
Less than a week after bringing her home from Houston, I have begun to worry about my heifer. She's losing a LOT of weight and has bad diarrhea and it's scaring me.

I dewormed her this morning, thinking that might be the cause, but what REALLY concerns me is that, while we were in Houston, she was stalled next to a very skinny, sickly looking Charolais, and I'm afraid she might have caught something from her.

Does anyone know what might be wrong? I'm REALLY worried about her.

Aggie Chick":1s294u9q said:
Less than a week after bringing her home from Houston, I have begun to worry about my heifer. She's losing a LOT of weight and has bad diarrhea and it's scaring me.

I dewormed her this morning, thinking that might be the cause, but what REALLY concerns me is that, while we were in Houston, she was stalled next to a very skinny, sickly looking Charolais, and I'm afraid she might have caught something from her.

Does anyone know what might be wrong? I'm REALLY worried about her.

Check her feed, is she eating the same type as before? Get your vet out , it is better safe then sorry. She might still be stressed from traveling, leaving her herd mates, new surondings, people, and new herd mates, and gone off feed. I would call the person you bought her from and see to what was wrong with the Charolais..What breed is the hefier?? How old is the hefier? is she a weanling or yearling? how much does she weigh? I had Hefier that had Diarrhea when we bought her and she had just been weaned, put on new feed ,taken away from her mom ect..took her over 1 1/2 weeks to get over it and ajust...
So good luck!!!
Keep us updated on how she is!

I think you misunderstood. I've had this heifer since last June. She's a 14-month-old Red Brangus and has lived pretty much her entire life alone. She actually dislikes being around other animals. I only just brought her back from the HLSR (where she was stalled next to the questionable Charolais heifer).

I'm feeding her the same feed, and....actually I've increased her ration quite a bit. She's eating all her feed with enthusiasm.

Thank you for the suggestion though!

Aggie Chick":2f0c0qtk said:
I think you misunderstood. I've had this heifer since last June. She's a 14-month-old Red Brangus and has lived pretty much her entire life alone. She actually dislikes being around other animals. I only just brought her back from the HLSR (where she was stalled next to the questionable Charolais heifer).

I'm feeding her the same feed, and....actually I've increased her ration quite a bit. She's eating all her feed with enthusiasm.

oh sorry :oops: :oops: yeah i diffently misunderstood!!!!!!!
:) :) :( :( kow tha i have figuared it out i woud get the vet to check her out.

Best way to find out what's wrong is to have a good vet check her out. A Johnes test might not be a bad idea either, since this evidently appeared after a stressful event, and she's eating normally.

Aggie Chick":16ts75t2 said:

my guess is from the increased ration. i would cut back on it and slowly gain it back up. also what kinda hay are you feeding?

REALLY sounds like coccida. But If you just put her back on feed before HLRS then you may has done it too fast which would have her up-set. But give her some Albon Bolus and Kaolin Pectin and some electrolytes for dehydration.

coccida needs to be treated with corid. talk to your vet take a manure sample in from her and have it check all other cattle around her can catch it too you can spead it with your shoes.

Well, it really does seem to be coccida. We're checking into that possibility. Fortunately, we don't have any other cattle, so we aren't worried about that.

Thank you ALL for your help.

Latest posts