Heifer: Kids Show her or Not? (pic)

Help Support CattleToday:

Should we show her or just keep as Replacement?

• Show Her

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do Not Show Her

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Here is a heifer that we have raised. Wondering everyone's opinion on rather to show her or keep as replacement. Feel free to be critical if you do not like her. Best I can figure she is 5/8 Angus, 1/4 Maine, 1/8 Semi. March 28 calf. McCarney Son X Maine Break heifer.

Rubby7months2weeks.jpg

Is she the one in your avatar?

Not sure about the competition in your area but, the AOB classes here are tougher than the breed classes.

Ought to post a picture of her for us so we can look her over.

certherbeef.......You should be able to see her now, sorry I was messing with photobucket and moved pic to a different album which messed up the picture.

She is green. And a touch sloppy fronted. Maybe a little pinched in the front rib. Looks to have some grow in her and has a nice straight top. Stands on good legs from what I can tell.
Would make a nice 4-H heifer but not sure she would compete real well here. But I'm in the middle of steer jock country too.
I kinda like her. What does she weigh in the picture? Put a good ration in her and have fun!!

Have not weighed her and I am terrible at guessing weight. She is real gently so thinking about letting my 8 year old show her. We have tied her up a total of 2 hours a day two days and she leads good already. She should be a puppy for him.

I say show her. She may not be perfect, but if it's his first year she doesn't need to be. Being gentle is much more important!!! She'll change a lot after you have her on feed for a couple of months. Good Luck.

My vote is SHOW HER.

I'll agree she may not be stout enough for the Commercial classes, but if she is fed & fit to show for the next 18 months, she will end up as a bigger, more gentle, healthier replacement heifer. And, she won't be too heavy muscled to have a calf.......like most commercial show calves.

Now I'm not saying she won't work in the show ring. She is mighty green. I would like to see her at least 600 lbs. at this stage. She may be a little pinched in the heart, but may also grow into it. Don't worry about her front being trashy. I can tell that most of that is hair, plus her head is not up. She is actually pretty nice in the front end, and how she ties in to her shoulders. She could be standing on more bone to show with the commercials, but that too could change with a real good nutrition program.

She is fine. Let her eat what she wants for a while and allow her free choice hay. Put her on a mineral that is proven. Get her on a really strong hair care program and you will not know her in a few months. I have a feeling she could look a lot better than she does in this pic. She isn't bad and has nice breeding for a cow prospect.

I agree with Cattlemom. Let your 8 year old show her. Having a quiet temparment that he can work with is much more important at 8 than anything else. It looks like this is what you have to work with and he can learn a lot in how to make this heifer look the best that she possibly can.

Latest posts