Heifer down after stillborn calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Here is a video from a few months ago... If it will load...I usually don't make pets with these animals, but she has always been really friendly.

One of those pictures she looks to be starting to prolapse... Keep an eye on that.
If she's getting up she'll improve day by day. We've had them down as long as a month finally get up. We've doctored them for a month that just gave up. But if she's able to get up now, she'll be ok...

Also, since she's gentle, milk her. That's some valuable stuff just sitting there not being used. Bottle it and freeze it for future use. Fake colostrum is not as good as the real thing...

Here's is a pic of her back end taken this afternoon... She will get a shot of Dex tomorrow, I guess it will be better in her back leg or does it matter? The vet is going to look at her on Friday, its a horse vet, but all I got that's close.. She doesn't hold out much hope though. She ate and drank well tonight. I'm wondering if I need to bring the tractor out there and try to lift her?... I've read where that might do more harm than good... Got another new calf today and Mom and calf look fine.

waterman74":131slhrg said:
Here's is a pic of her back end taken this afternoon... She will get a shot of Dex tomorrow, I guess it will be better in her back leg or does it matter? The vet is going to look at her on Friday, its a horse vet, but all I got that's close.. She doesn't hold out much hope though. She ate and drank well tonight. I'm wondering if I need to bring the tractor out there and try to lift her?... I've read where that might do more harm than good... Got another new calf today and Mom and calf look fine.

As with all things in life, you get out what you put in. As long as her appetite is good and she is drinking there is hope. If she was up for 30 seconds it won't be long before she is walking. You can hang on to their tail up close and help them keep their balance. Rolling from side to side is good too. (Not over on their back either).

She may need stitched up, looks like her lady parts are hanging out a bit. YOu may walk out one morning and its all out...the horror

She is still eating and drinking, she got a Dex shot this morning and another cmpk drench, the vet is coming tomorrow, I'll have to make a decision then I guess... She is still moving and getting her back legs up but not the front and her back hooves are still not angled correct.

Update
The vet came today. She is not prolapsed, and her uterus is healing nicely... However, she has limited feeling in both back legs, and her bladder was very full. She was given calcium iv, Dex, and some other shots. The vet doesn't think she is going to get up, but she still tries, and she is still eating and drinking, so we are going to keep trying... She gave me a bottle of Dex for a once a day shot.... She is still very swollen in her back end. Thinking about bringing the tractor out and trying to lift her a little everyday, but I'm still unsure on that. Thanks

waterman74":nqodqt54 said:
Update
The vet came today. She is not prolapsed, and her uterus is healing nicely... However, she has limited feeling in both back legs, and her bladder was very full. She was given calcium iv, Dex, and some other shots. The vet doesn't think she is going to get up, but she still tries, and she is still eating and drinking, so we are going to keep trying... She gave me a bottle of Dex for a once a day shot.... She is still very swollen in her back end. Thinking about bringing the tractor out and trying to lift her a little everyday, but I'm still unsure on that. Thanks

Get some hip clamps to use with the tractor.

Ken

wbvs58":30y67us6 said:
waterman74":30y67us6 said:
Update

Get some hip clamps to use with the tractor.

Ken

I've never seen any change in speed of healing by trying to lift them. My experience.....

Keep feed and water in front of her. If she stops eating it's likely time to give up. As others have said two weeks is not unheard of.

We have had mixed results with hip lifts. That said, sometimes getting them up enough to where they can get their feet on the ground and move around without gravity making them fall, will help. Sometimes it will "adjust" the pressure on the spine without you realizing it just from changing her position. It sure can't hurt to try it. As long as she keeps moving around and eating and drinking, I'd give her a chance. If she does try to get up on her own, as stated, grab ahold of her tail close to her body and help her to stabilize her balance.

We had one 2 years ago do the same thing just give them time she will be ok. The one we had always walked just a little funny afterwards

gcreekrch":3000xiy8 said:
I've never seen any change in speed of healing by trying to lift them. My experience.....

Keep feed and water in front of her. If she stops eating it's likely time to give up. As others have said two weeks is not unheard of.
I've found them counter productive in some cows. If the cow is gentle and cooperates, it can be very helpful. But if you get a cow that is just mad at the world, they fight it.
I've used a hoe to situate the legs, feet, ankles, to help get the cow squared up. This wont work on a cow who fights it, but if your cow is ok with it, for sure help get those feet set right.
We have a second one this season. She, like the other, is just wonky on one ankle.. Both are now standing without any lifting. We'll be able to let them out soon.

Update.
She is still eating and drinking fine. She stood up completely for about 2 minutes this morning. Her hoof angle was correct this time. She doesn't like her daily shot of Dex. Hopefully we are getting out of the woods.

waterman74":1vqpteql said:
Update.
She is still eating and drinking fine. She stood up completely for about 2 minutes this morning. Her hoof angle was correct this time. She doesn't like her daily shot of Dex. Hopefully we are getting out of the woods.
That's great news! Thanks for the update. BTW I used molasses flavored powdered aspirin mixed in with cubes when our girl was down. Certainly didn't help her heal faster but seemed to alleviate some of the pain/discomfort.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, and I'm not going to read through all three pages, but when they try to get up, and can get the back end up, I've often had good luck with grabbing the tail and pulling back. It seems to help them some with getting the front end up, and if you'll hang onto it after they get up you can use it to help steady them after they get up if they're still wobbly (and they usually are).

Ok thank you. We can tell that she is getting up and moving around some, just not very far. This is good!

Update:
This morning she got all the up and stood until my wife left to pick up the kids from school. (She was still standing). My wife is going back afterwards to check on her... I'm scared she is going to try to go to one of the ponds and fall in and drown, but the whole time she was standing, she didn't try to walk.... Here is a link to the video of her getting up. She's a fighter.
https://youtu.be/ven9lR-5ylY

Good effort, she should continue to improve. I was a bit worried about seeing that baby in the stroller unattended though.It was not that far away from the heifer and getting up onto her feet you just don't know where she might overbalance and scramble to.

Ken

Latest posts