Heifer Bull Deluxe

Help Support CattleToday:

houstoncutter

Reaction score
This was a great heifer bull for me. Never had a calf weigh more than 65 lbs. Most were 55 lbs out of about 500 calves. They hit the ground running and exploded growth wise. He was used on F-1 Brangus and F-1 Branford cattle.

Cant remember who he was out of sire wise , both the dam was Doll Mercy Me . Bought him from one of the original members of this board Michelle Pankonine, Kemi Limousine.
Bought several bulls from her over the years

Attachments

• 5457F69B-E339-48A3-828F-4109878CB0C9.png
    5457F69B-E339-48A3-828F-4109878CB0C9.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 41
Got an Angus bull like that ; sire is Sandpoint Butkus . Only had to assist with one calf in 4 years and it was backwards / breech

We have 2 heifer bulls that we bought in 2012 and 2013? Still using them. Calves weigh in the 60's all the time, they spit them out like nobody's business; up and going in no time. Grow is decent but not super but I would rather a good healthy calf, fast birth, up and going for the first calf. We have kept a few over the years for replacements, but I prefer to keep more replacements out of cows that have proven themselves.
4 of the bulls we have including these 2 easy calving ones are from Benfield Angus in Deerfield Va. Don Benner and his wife have a nice herd. Son is an extension agent now, but Don is a good cowman. They had a bull sale every year up until about 3-4 years ago then stopped... 25 years or so.... but still sell some private treaty. Their bulls work well with our cattle overall.

Spoke too soon or jinxed myself . Checked the bred heifer group this afternoon and found one in trouble. Another breech presentation. That's two in two years . When I was a youngster and didn't understand all the ends and outs to this baby thing my grandmother use to tell us that the bull put the calf in backwards. I knew the bull had a part in it and when your young and naive it made sense to me ! 🤔😳🤠