heifer aborting

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
I had one of my best heifers abort this afternoon. No indication of anything wrong this afternoon. Saw her at 17:00 and she was alone and standing with her tail in the air as if she was about to calve.

Checked on her just now and found a normal bull calf aborted. She was due first week in May. As always its one of my best heifers, AI bred to a very good bull and to top it all I really wanted a bull calf out of her.

Any ideas on why, except that she maybe got a knock from one of the others. What puzzles me more is that she was in that group for months now and there shouldn't have been any more fighting than usual. The heifer is otherwise fine and was licking the calf, she hasn't cleaned yet. I am expecting problems, what do you think?

We had one abort this week as well. She wasn't due til March. A nice bull. No indication of any problems. Minerals, pro tub, hay, and all vaccinated.

I don't know what caused it but I did want to say sorry for your loss.

It sounds like when she does have a live one she will be a good mama since she was cleaning it.

KNERSIE
I know what you mean, whenever something weird/bad happens it's always the good ones, not the so-so ones.
Reason for abortion? could be anything. Sometimes it's just mother nature. If you have a good mineral, nutrition & health program - you have to just chalk it up to bad luck.

I have a very good health program, good mineral program and the heifers are all in excellent condition. It still puzzles me that there was no previous symptoms or indicatoins. It is the last week of my AI breeding season and the heifer was in the same pasture. They have been checked three times a day for at least 45 minutes at a time and I didn't see anything that would cause worry up till 17:00 this afternoon.

There wasn't even a cow in heat for three weeks now. I know that if you have them you're gonna lose them, but when you are looking forward to the results of a specific mating its still very dissappointing.

Anyway, thanks for the support.

Latest posts