Hedge apples and OWTs

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
This past couple of weeks we've been over run with spiders, particularly in the shop. You walk from one side to the other and hit a half dozen webs and clear them out, 5 minutes you walk back and kit new ones. The OWT is that hedge apples will keep spiders away. It's true! the shop is about 40X60 with 16 foot rafters and open all the way to the peaked roof. Put 5-6 HAs around from the middle to one end and haven;t had a spider web any where in the shop in 5 days.
There are still a bunch around the outside and on the windows outside though.

D2Cat":385zvxbf said:
The apples are free, but the freight is .... determined by the volume you need!

I just need a dozen free samples with a weak promise of buying huge volumes later. :mrgreen:

Rafter S":3n52t95q said:
Is that the fruit from bois d'arc trees?
Yes. Horse apples are the things that comes out of the south end of a north bound horse.

Horse apples are the things that comes out of the south end of a north bound horse.

They call those road apples round here dun.

We've always called the bois d' arc fruit a horse apple to, as did my grandfather up in Bowie County.

Are the OO ripe already? Haven't seen any yet. Last year we had a kind lady bring some from 2 countys away. She read our ad and we met in the middle. She had Dr. appointment so it was very nice of her.

I've got a really big Osage orange tree on my place. I will have to try the spider thing.

kickinbull":1lno4566 said:
Are the OO ripe already? Haven't seen any yet. Last year we had a kind lady bring some from 2 countys away. She read our ad and we met in the middle. She had Dr. appointment so it was very nice of her.
Here they're about the size of soft balls, I guess that's ripe enough

Latest posts