"Heavy Springers"

Help Support CattleToday:

Sale bill reads: 85 cows, 42 with calves at their sides, balance "heavy springers". I am assuming they will calve "early" spring......but I would like that verfied. Tks.

Heavy Springers are those that are going to calve in the next few weeks or month at the most. If they are listed in a sale bill as heavy springers then they won't wait until spring - early October maybe??

AF Ranch":3u29qfrm said:
Sale bill reads: 85 cows, 42 with calves at their sides, balance "heavy springers". I am assuming they will calve "early" spring......but I would like that verfied. Tks.

To me it means they will calve soon, as in next few days to a month or so, or bred 8 to 9 months, however you want to look at it. I wouldn't consider cows that won't calve until early spring "heavy springers", they'd only be 4 months or so bred.

cfpinz

Possibly the mix up has to do with the term spring. When talking about bred cattle it's a condition, (close to calving) not a time of year.

dun

To me, the term heavy springer means will calve within 30 days. If you read it on a sale or in an ad or the auctioneer says heavy springer, it generally will mean in the next 90 days. The auctions tag cattle according to trimester bred and the 7-9 months bred is generally tagged with a green tag. So, many times people call anything green tagged a heavy springer, but it isnt. They are just trying to sell the cow for more money by slight of words.

Latest posts