HEAVY DUTY GATE-ONE MORE QUESTION

Help Support CattleToday:

saltbranch

Reaction score
Maybe you guys have seen or have an idea on this.
On the gate entrance, its like 18' wide. Currently we have 2 gates a 12' and a 6' or something close as I cant remember the exact length.When I put up new double gates, I would like to make the short gate that will be"fixed and secured" to a "removeable" post. My intentions are to be able to open the small gate when needed for wide loads etc, but majority of the time it will stay closed and be the point of securement for the big gate. My best idea so far is to concrete 6" pipe in ground flush with ground and then slip smaller pipe into the larger and have it lock to the small gate in a fashion that allows the pipe to come out of ground only when unlocked from smaller gate.
I hate the way 2 gates that meet will flex when locked.
I hope that makes sense...any other ideas or thoughts?

To get rid of the flex over lap them 2 feet with chain on end of each. For 18 use 2 10' or 12 and a eight. For the pipe 4'' in ground 2'' would be fine. Only problem I see is a good way for cow to break a leg.

littletom":2gi5l8eu said:
To get rid of the flex over lap them 2 feet with chain on end of each. For 18 use 2 10' or 12 and a eight. For the pipe 4'' in ground 2'' would be fine. Only problem I see is a good way for cow to break a leg.

How would cow break a leg? The only time the hole would be open is when gate is opened for an overwidth load. Easiest thing to do is make them overlap like you said and be done with it.

You really like to complicate things. Make a 18 foot wide gate and get on with life a narrow load will go through a wide opening with no problem.

hurleyjd":1e32nqke said:
You really like to complicate things. Make a 18 foot wide gate and get on with life a narrow load will go through a wide opening with no problem.

LOL....you are prolly correct. My wife has said that more than once. I will measure this weekend to make sure 18' is correct.

hurleyjd":xi0qypkx said:
I kinda agree on a single 18 gate
If you want to do a removable post simply set a pipe sleeve in a concrete pier. I would go at least a couple of feet deep.leave it a couple of inches above grade and dome the top of the pier up to the top of the sleeve. This Will pervent the sleeve from filling with dirt and gravel. The latch post will be a size smaller pipe and simply drop down into the sleeve.
Make sure you get the sleeve plumb.

For what its worth an 18' gate is a lot of weight to hang off one end. I tried it once (with a 20 footer) and no matter how big the pipe or how much concrete or the bracing the gate swing end always ends up dragging the ground. I've since gone back to two gates to span the wide openings.

18 feet is no problem if you don't cut corners. I regularly do swing gates up to 25 foot. And cantilever gates(which are self supporting up to 50 foot openings.

The drawback to doubles is you have to open and close two gates.
Fine for pasture gates but for your main entrance. Do it up right.

fenceman":2v1qjoon said:
18 feet is no problem if you don't cut corners. I regularly do swing gates up to 25 foot. And cantilever gates(which are self supporting up to 50 foot openings.

In case you didn't understand what I said I'll repeat. "For what it's worth ….." I just gave you MY experience with a wide gate. 8" steel pipe cemented in the ground about 4 feet. 10" cedar brace post with "H" and cross wired. About every year or so I have to shorten the mounting hardware to keep the gate from dragging.

I assume your 50' "cantilever" gates are the same as bump gates. If yes, they are supported in center with equal weight hanging off both ends. Never an issue until you rip a bumper off because you hit it too hard.

lavacarancher":1frrvbzc said:
fenceman":1frrvbzc said:

In case you didn't understand what I said I'll repeat. "For what it's worth ….." I just gave you MY experience with a wide gate. 8" steel pipe cemented in the ground about 4 feet. 10" cedar brace post with "H" and cross wired. About every year or so I have to shorten the mounting hardware to keep the gate from dragging.

I assume your 50' "cantilever" gates are the same as bump gates. If yes, they are supported in center with equal weight hanging off both ends. Never an issue until you rip a bumper off because you hit it too hard.
Understood perfectly.
And I gave my experience. Meant no malice. :roll:

Cantilever gate.
http://rtfence.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... link13.jpg

The opening is 25', so 2 gates it is. Back to my original question.
I do appreciate everyones advice on these questions

On the gate entrance, its like 18' wide. Currently we have 2 gates a 12' and a 6' or something close as I cant remember the exact length.When I put up new double gates, I would like to make the short gate that will be"fixed and secured" to a "removeable" post. My intentions are to be able to open the small gate when needed for wide loads etc, but majority of the time it will stay closed and be the point of securement for the big gate. My best idea so far is to concrete 6" pipe in ground flush with ground and then slip smaller pipe into the larger and have it lock to the small gate in a fashion that allows the pipe to come out of ground only when unlocked from smaller gate.
I hate the way 2 gates that meet will flex when locked.

saltbranch":3u5wwafi said:

I hate the way 2 gates that meet will flex when loe gate out of the way.

Hinge the small gate to the post. install brackets on the side of the post and a bracket on the gate. Make these brackets to accept a top link for a tractor. Close the gate to the place you want it and adjust the top link to keep it in place. To open remove pin from the bracket and swing the gate out of the way.

hurleyjd":1bab5eyp said:
saltbranch":1bab5eyp said:

I hate the way 2 gates that meet will flex when loe gate out of the way.

Hinge the small gate to the post. install brackets on the side of the post and a bracket on the gate. Make these brackets to accept a top link for a tractor. Close the gate to the place you want it and adjust the top link to keep it in place. To open remove pin from the bracket and swing the gate out of the way.

I have been playing with a similar idea. I like the idea of using the top link....I believe that's the way I will go.

hurleyjd":1m4rpzyy said:

Exactly!! I have tried the double gate scenario on a 14 ft wide opening and it was a real pain in the rear each time I had to move through the opening with equipment or cattle - 2 gates to open/close and secure as opposed to one. In addition, the center, where the 2 gates come together will be the weakest point.

Just a quick update. The opening is 25' from post to post. This is an entrance gate so no cattle will be pushed through it. No one lives on the property so we don't need big and fancy.

Latest posts