Heats question

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks

Reaction score
Howdy All,
We timed-AI'd 11 cows and heifers (mostly angus) on Mon eve Sept. 15. We want to move them to a pasture by the house to watch for heats on the very next cycle (and rebreed any in heat). The "home" pasture only has a few days feed so I was planning to move them this Sat am and watch them closely from Sat-Mon (maybe Tues latest). I know that, technically, estrus cycles are 18-24 days. Does Sat am to Mon night give enough of a window to see any that are coming into heat? (That would be about days 19-21?).

I could throw them hay if need be and buy a longer window to keep them nearby but hate to have yet another sacrifice area. Also, on the couple of days before and after they are on the "home pasture" they will be checked on, just not as often. Any advice appreciated. Thanks !!!

I think that would catch MOST of them, and if you still check on them in the other pasture and pay attention, you ought to see them

Just put scratch off heat detectors on them and check twice per day. If placed properly they are very good indicators of who is standing.

I just did exactly the same thing, synchronised a group and inseminated on the Sunday 3 weeks ago. I just inseminated one this arvo (Tuesday pm). I think you need to get a bit more hay and keep them there a bit longer.
Ken

branguscowgirl":1rdwhk70 said:
Just put scratch off heat detectors on them and check twice per day. If placed properly they are very good indicators of who is standing.

I use the Estrotect heat patches.
Pretty cheap insurance and they haven't lied to me yet.
Still relatively new to it though.

cmf1":3htd76rd said:
branguscowgirl":3htd76rd said:

I use the Estrotect heat patches.
Pretty cheap insurance and they haven't lied to me yet.
Still relatively new to it though.
Yes, they are very good. I have been using them for years. I usually put on two of them at a time a few inches apart. If both are pink, they are definitely standing.

Patches do work great, they can be a little deceiving if you have a fly rub or cedar trees.
I put mine on day 17 and dont get comfortable till day 25.

Thanks all! Based on the replies I think we will move them Fri eve, keep them there til ~Tues, and put a little hay out if need be. I do want to try the patches sometime, but that would require a trip thru the chute. (They aren't terribly wild, but aren't gonna let me put them on in the field). Thanks!

I put my patches on after I AI when they are still in the chute. My cattle don't have anything to rub them on though. These particular patches stay on for well over a month. Others do not.

branguscowgirl":2f46ken2 said:
I put my patches on after I AI when they are still in the chute. My cattle don't have anything to rub them on though. These particular patches stay on for well over a month. Others do not.

Ours have lots of trees, brush etc and I can't even keep pinkeye eye patches on them. But I think I will try it your way next year--it would at least help. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks to everyone's good advice, we went to move the cows Fri eve instead of Sat am. By doing so, we caught one already in very strong heat on Fri afternoon, and re-AI'd her (1st time heifer). We have not seen any others in heat, which is a bit surprising since we AI'd 11 total, and were a couple of hours early doing the AI (versus optimal). We did have a very cold rainy day yesterday; someone told me they won't come into heat then (or at least won't show it much). (Most are Angus). Any truth to that? Do you all see many heats in mid-winter, for example, or do they pretty well stop?

Boondocks,

Good that you got them a little earlier. We found that 8-10 hours after they first stand is best for us. I know everyone says 12 hours is optimal and you can wait longer than that. That has not been as successful for us.

I believe if you could watch them until Wednesday or so it would be safer.

My two cents.

Farmgirl

Our cattle show heat better in the cool time of the year than in the summer. We AI from the end of November to about Mid-January for our fall calves. And we have no problem seeing heats. I actually think our heats are stronger in the fall, along with my conception rates being better.
For what it is worth, we do not use the patches, but a livestock marker instead. You could do them in the pasture if you baited them (tossed some grain or cubes out). Just one quick stripe down the entire length of the tail head, takes just seconds. I have used the tail chalk method for more than 30 years, the dairy industry taught me that trick. Cheap and easy...

Thanks Farmgirl and Fire Sweep! Caught another heifer (call her "A") in heat this am and will AI her this eve. (Of course, the ones that didn't take the first time are spreading it all out!)

This afternoon I'm seeing the 2 steers climbing all over "A", and now another one (call her "B") is hanging close to the harem and acting like maybe she's headed into heat too (but not standing).

I've been a fan of timed AI so far, but I can see that if our herd grew a lot, it might make sense to do timed AI, then turn a good bull in 18 days later and leave him even 10 days. That, or learn to do the AI myself....I've looked at classes but they're far away and usually not cost-effective for a small herd.

Latest posts