Heat

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hi all! I currently have 15 open cows which I just joined a bull with. My question is how long will it normally takes for the cows to come into heat from the day I joined them with the bull? And if they do not come into heat after they are supposed to, what shall I do to make them on heat.? Tq

A normal healthy cow will have a 21 day estrous cycle, meaning she should come into heat roughly every 21 days.

JWBrahman":28xhu14m said:
A normal healthy cow will have a 21 day estrous cycle, meaning she should come into heat roughly every 21 days.

Will CIDR does any good to the cow to make them into heat early?

To jump start a cow early we just use a shot of GnRH and 7 days later a shot of Lutalyze

kamalbashanasir":mhloeed1 said:
JWBrahman":mhloeed1 said:

Will CIDR does any good to the cow to make them into heat early?

You may have thought of this already. You cows will be in different days of their 21 day cycle, so it's possible some would be coming in heat a day or two after you turned the bull in, the rest will be in within the 21 day time frame (assuming no problems with the cows). The bull should catch all or most of them in the first 21 days, any he missed or didn't settle should be easy the next cycle. Giving you a 42 day calving window.

kamalbashanasir":1i5j5dcn said:
Hi all! I currently have 15 open cows which I just joined a bull with. My question is how long will it normally takes for the cows to come into heat from the day I joined them with the bull? And if they do not come into heat after they are supposed to, what shall I do to make them on heat.? Tq

How long ago did they calve?

Latest posts