Heat Pumps

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefeater

Reaction score
Didn't want to hijack the furnace thread, but thought I'd ask here after seeing the post. I'm looking at putting in a air source heat pump for my house. Just got off the phone pricing out a 3 ton, 16 SEER, Goodman... Anyone have feedback on newer air source heat pumps in general, or the brand? Local electric coop is offering $225/ton rebate, and lower rate for pump use.

Don't know about their heat pumps, but we've had a Goodman gas heat/air system for 16 years - only
had to replace a capacitor. Otherwise just normal maintenance. Still seems to be going strong knock
on wood.

they are a good brand. I've put in several and never had a problem. I love my heat pumps. Best bang for the buck..

I turn mine off if it goes below 28 degrees.

Look into geothermal if you can. I have a Bard geothermal unit. Horizontal installation, not vertical, FWIW. A little more upfront (there were some energy credits when we put it in, not sure if there still are).

Heat pumps are going in by the hundreds around here the last number of years. Mitsubishi, daiken and panasonic I believe are said to be the top dogs. People love them.

I had one years ago and hated it as I stayed cold all the time. It recirculated the room temp air and there was always moving air in the place. It reminded me of have the ceiling fan on while the heater was off. I was pretty glad when it bit the dust and I went back to conventional heat.

slick4591":42er8tap said:
I had one years ago and hated it as I stayed cold all the time. It recirculated the room temp air and there was always moving air in the place. It reminded me of have the ceiling fan on while the heater was off. I was pretty glad when it bit the dust and I went back to conventional heat.
We had one once too. In the summer we still had to run the aux air and in the winter we had to run the aux heat.

Ours "died" late last week. Put in order for new one today. Will install it Thursday. Went with another Lennox. Have never had any problems or complaints with them or their local servicing dealer. Old one was 21 years old. I like the "cool" heat from the heat pumps. Can't stand having that hot furnace heat blowing on me. Just too many hot spots in the room.

TexasBred":20dzte7n said:
Ours "died" late last week. Put in order for new one today. Will install it Thursday. Went with another Lennox. Have never had any problems or complaints with them or their local servicing dealer. Old one was 21 years old. I like the "cool" heat from the heat pumps. Can't stand having that hot furnace heat blowing on me. Just too many hot spots in the room.

Love them myself current one is a Trane been trouble free for 12 years so far.
Something like four manufacturers make the majority of the brands 20 something.

boondocks":er352plg said:
Look into geothermal if you can. I have a Bard geothermal unit. Horizontal installation, not vertical, FWIW. A little more upfront (there were some energy credits when we put it in, not sure if there still are).

Good advice boondocks. a little over 20 years ago, we had a fiasco with heat pump for my parents house. We had trouble getting them to work, maybe the units weren't quite big enough. The utility bills were over $500 dollars. Someone working the unit told us about geothermal, and we decided to go that route. It was more expense upfront but the cost per month has been almost half. So far the system has worked without any problems ( reckon I better knock on wood ) except for when we replaced a hot water heater. We had trouble getting the thing hooked up to work right as far as water flow.

WE had a new American Standard installed last year, more efficient than our old one. I have no issues with the heat they put out, putting cheap for use, about $150 a month average bill year road for 1500 sq. foot home.

Look closely at the rebate deal your coop has, ours ran a rebate deal but duct work and everything was going to have to be change to get the whole system to meet the requirements.

a heat pump will only generate heat if its around 28-32 degrees outside or higher. Most places will need a backup heat once it gets colder. I always run all electric. My bills are 140 - 200 / month (electric) in the winter depending on how cold it is outside. Thats for a 2500 sq ft house all 1 level. My house is also extremely efficient, with R60+ insulation attic + polyiso insulation sheets on the roof, R19 2x6 walls, insulation sheets outside the basement walls, and all brick exterior.

I also have a heat pump water heater. It seems to work really well.

Caustic Burno":3w3nz5s2 said:
TexasBred":3w3nz5s2 said:

Love them myself current one is a Trane been trouble free for 12 years so far.
Something like four manufacturers make the majority of the brands 20 something.

Brother put a Trane in his house when he built it about 1983....still working great and even for one that old is very efficient with very low electric bill.

ddd75":2rwj5j1v said:
a heat pump will only generate heat if its around 28-32 degrees outside or higher. Most places will need a backup heat once it gets colder. I always run all electric. My bills are 140 - 200 / month (electric) in the winter depending on how cold it is outside. Thats for a 2500 sq ft house all 1 level. My house is also extremely efficient, with R60+ insulation attic + polyiso insulation sheets on the roof, R19 2x6 walls, insulation sheets outside the basement walls, and all brick exterior.

Amazing how well mine has worked when outside temps were in single digits.

Ky hills":30so3ko1 said:
boondocks":30so3ko1 said:

Good advice boondocks. a little over 20 years ago, we had a fiasco with heat pump for my parents house. We had trouble getting them to work, maybe the units weren't quite big enough. The utility bills were over $500 dollars. Someone working the unit told us about geothermal, and we decided to go that route. It was more expense upfront but the cost per month has been almost half. So far the system has worked without any problems ( reckon I better knock on wood ) except for when we replaced a hot water heater. We had trouble getting the thing hooked up to work right as far as water flow.

We've been very happy with ours (knock wood!). Like yours, our monthly bills are about half what they would otherwise be. Plus, it's neat technology (says the nerd).

TexasBred":13bnleru said:
ddd75":13bnleru said:

you don't have any propane / electric / natural gas backup>?

TexasBred":1r234p47 said:
ddd75":1r234p47 said:

Ours does also and seldom see it kick the heat strips in. I do notice it has to run longer. On really cold days we supplement with gas logs, we burn less tha 100 gallons in a year.

Latest posts