Heat and humidity

Help Support CattleToday:

Found a newby in the nick of time today. It's one of my uncle's calves. The Dam has a swollen out of shape udder. Between the heat, humidity, and her bag calf wasn't getting enough to make it. So loaded and took to vet. Vet tubed it and gave me some electrolyte's to feed it tonight. So she's inside cooling down now.

I didn't get so lucky with mine....the only bull we had this yr outta 20 calfs and it didn't make it..was 3 days old too. heat..flys..no breeze..poor thing

About 20 years ago, in the first week of September, several of my co-workers and I were in Moffit, ND sitting around listening to the radio at lunchtime. They announced that they were letting school out at noon because of the heat. We laughed ourselves silly. It was close to 100°, but felt comfortable to me (I guess because of lower humidity than I'm accustomed to).

Caustic Burno":vrtfxbjb said:
dieselbeef":vrtfxbjb said:
i got beefmasters and it has just got brutal here lately...

I have never lost a brimmer calf to heat
are you sure you don't have a lepto problem.

weeelllll I don't know bout dat sir but I would say they have none of the symptoms...

dieselbeef":3rn6dmv5 said:
Caustic Burno":3rn6dmv5 said:
dieselbeef":3rn6dmv5 said:
i got beefmasters and it has just got brutal here lately...

I have never lost a brimmer calf to heat
are you sure you don't have a lepto problem.

weeelllll I don't know bout dat sir but I would say they have none of the symptoms...

Dead calf at two to three days old is the primary symptom.

Caustic Burno":2cvpj84l said:
Cross-7":2cvpj84l said:
I'm not one to complain about heat.
I love summertime and can't take the cold, but 100 degrees, high humidity with no breeze is hard on a guy.

Just give me a little breeze to dry the sweat on my brow ... and my crotch
I think I have diaper rash

That is normal weather in the thicket.
Bunch of wimps...
I saved this screenshot form the 1st week of July for some reason. Seems applicable for this thread..
If you can't stand the heat, stay the he// out of Texas. If you can't stand humidity, stay out of East Texas.

This is the best time of the year. Put on my hat and long sleeve shirt and wander around like there ain't nobody on earth but me and the cattle. All the wannabes can't get their 4 wheelers thru the swamp. Survival of the fittest.

Nesikep":1dub0jir said:
Today is a nice day, 85F, 21% humidity.. little smoke in the air

Here it is 76F with 49% humidity today. The ten day forecast is highs mid 70's to low 80's, Lows in the upper 40's to mid 50's with 40-50% humidity.

yea..but if they got it already that vac wont get rid of it. they have no other symptoms tho. not saying I wont look into it but im not gonna shoot em up on a wild guess either. the vac will keep em from getting it but serious ani bio will clear it up...if its outta the herd. every other cow out of the 21 calfed fine and on time...

MY VET IS RECOMMENDING VACCINATION TWICE PER YEAR....
WE HAD SLACKED OFF ON IT THE LAST FEW YEARS TO ONCE PER YEAR....
BUT i AM GONNA STICK MINE AGAIN AFTER CALVING AND BEFORE BREEDING THIS FALL.
WE DO THEM ALL IN THE SPRING.