heat detection frustrating

Help Support CattleToday:

wade

Reaction score
I have 11 head of Red Angus I am trying to get bred this year. 5 heifers and 6 cows that are between 3 and 5 years of age that all had calves last year. I have done synchronizing in the past with limited results. I thought I finally had everyone bred until yesterday, one of my nicer cows that has had 2 calves came up to eat with blood on her tail. The hired man checks them every morning and keeps a good eye on them during the day. We never saw her ride nor be ridden or any bawling or anything. I have a one year old steer with this bunch of cattle and he isnt much of a heat detector. We have bred a few this year on just mucus (drainage) and a few showed real strong heats and were later AI'd. A couple I gave 7cc's of prostamate to get them cycling and that worked good. I am really getting tired of wondering if they are bred and heat detecting every day. I will have them palpated at 60 days after I believe everyone is bred. Thinking of just getting a good bull and let him do the work. Everyone have this problem with heat detection. These cows are in good shape and nothing wrong with them that I know. I believe the weather has alot to do with heat detection.

wade":1qfzbsgn said:
I have 11 head of Red Angus I am trying to get bred this year. 5 heifers and 6 cows that are between 3 and 5 years of age that all had calves last year. I have done synchronizing in the past with limited results. I thought I finally had everyone bred until yesterday, one of my nicer cows that has had 2 calves came up to eat with blood on her tail. The hired man checks them every morning and keeps a good eye on them during the day. We never saw her ride nor be ridden or any bawling or anything. I have a one year old steer with this bunch of cattle and he isnt much of a heat detector. We have bred a few this year on just mucus (drainage) and a few showed real strong heats and were later AI'd. A couple I gave 7cc's of prostamate to get them cycling and that worked good. I am really getting tired of wondering if they are bred and heat detecting every day. I will have them palpated at 60 days after I believe everyone is bred. Thinking of just getting a good bull and let him do the work. Everyone have this problem with heat detection. These cows are in good shape and nothing wrong with them that I know. I believe the weather has alot to do with heat detection.

We had a lot of problems this year with heat detection also. I thought maybe it was just me until I talked to a couple of other breeders in the area that have had the same problem. This year has been totally different, heat cycle/detection wise, then any in the past 40. Frustrating

I had a heck of a time. I always write down any cow that cycles on my calendar in the barn and write them down to check in 21 days. I had cattle that had cycled two times and then didnt cycle the third time when I wanted to breed them. I had others cycle at weird times, 15 days, 27 days. Just never could expect anything. I would post you some pics but cannot seem to find the upload button on the link in the post about posting pics.

Send me that nice red bull you have dun and I wouldnt have this trouble.

A friend of mine wants to go in on a bull with me. He has belted galloways and liked them until he saw the way these RA grow compared to his belties. I just cannot figure out how we could share a bull and both have calves at the same time in the spring unless we put all cows that are to be bred together. I really dont want to be hauling that many cattle around.

Same deal here with erratic heats. And we know how long each cows "usual" cycle is from previous records.

I had the same problem with my Scottish Highland cows. I wasn't going to worry about getting a bull straight away as I only had 3 cows to start with & as I'm pretty good at ai'ing that was the way I was going to go, however they never came into heat or if they do they're in stealth mode & I never catch them :D So I brought a bull I still haven't seen him "do the job" so to speak but have seen him following the girls around. I wrote these dates down to give me an idea on when the cows are due to calve. At the end of the month will see the cows start calving.

hrbelgians":1qiqwewp said:
Hmmm, my bull never even mentioned that he was having a problem with this! :lol:

If I sniffed their pee all day long I might not have a poroblem either.

My gommer bull is the best investment I ever made. I have also had some luck breding earlier rather than latter after the start of standing heat. In this heat they seem to have shortened up there time to ovulation. I have bred some at 5 to 7 hours and they take. This is for Brahman I don't know if Bos Taurus
are the same.

dun":323kuaeg said:
wade":323kuaeg said:

We had a lot of problems this year with heat detection also. I thought maybe it was just me until I talked to a couple of other breeders in the area that have had the same problem. This year has been totally different, heat cycle/detection wise, then any in the past 40. Frustrating
Well gee, maybe I am not crazy after all. (See "Head Scratcher" in this thread) :???: ;-)

Latest posts