Another cow died, This is frustrating. Graphic pics

Help Support CattleToday:

Chapin81

Reaction score
So another cow died on us. This time we think it's because we weaned her earlier calf too late close to 11 months,we think since the calf was still feeding off her mom that she could of banged her head in there and injured the unborn calf. The calf was dead inside. My guys tried to pull it out with a rope attached to the legs but the calf was decomposing inside. My caretaker euthanized her later on after trying to give birth, poor cow was suffering and the decomposing smell I was told was strong.

This is our 4th of the year. This sucks.

More than likely the unborn calf died for some UNKNOWN reason. Lots of mamas out there having babies while still nursing the last one.
That calf was dead inside her a while for it to be decomposing. It's possible that's what contributed to mamas poor health. Why she was unwell. That's not good on the cows internals and causes all sorts of issues

It is tough to lose them but at least it is not any mysterious cause for your losses. I don't think the head butting would have damaged the unborn calf, more like a malpresentation. Looks like a back leg in the photo though a bit hard to see. A breech birth is a common cause of a dead calf rotting inside them as no limbs protrude to suggest there is a problem happening.
An emphasematous calf can be removed in pieces and many of them will breed back OK. Just one of those "pleasant" jobs a vet gets to do.

Ken

wbvs58 said:
It is tough to lose them but at least it is not any mysterious cause for your losses. I don't think the head butting would have damaged the unborn calf, more like a malpresentation. Looks like a back leg in the photo though a bit hard to see. A breech birth is a common cause of a dead calf rotting inside them as no limbs protrude to suggest there is a problem happening.
An emphasematous calf can be removed in pieces and many of them will breed back OK. Just one of those "pleasant" jobs a vet gets to do.

Ken
My caretaker stuck his hand in there to see if he could pull it out but no luck, he said the calf was mushy and could grip it, the limbs have no skin on them. Unfortunately I'm in the middle of nowhere and my vets a 4 hour drive.

Latest posts