Heat- 96 today

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky_P":2atj1hqx said:
Heat stress on cattle a significant concern right now. Have seen a half-dozen deaths this week in over-fed/over-finished steers at a local feeding floor, history & samples from a dairy cow submitted to the lab yesterday look pretty typical.

Any time you've got daytime temps well above 85F, and nighttime temps not dropping below 70-74F, cows can't effectively 'dump' heat at night, and the potential is there after 3-4 days of those sort of conditions for some deaths to occur. You absolutely do not want to do anything stressful with them, and no vaccinations at this time! Shade, plenty of clean water, fans(if possible) are pretty important.

Had 2 calves show up at the barn today that need their 1st round of vaccinations (Covexin 8, Pinkeye & wormed). What a lucky break, not 10' from the chute! And then I remembered your post. Ahhhh, maybe next time :frowns:

inyati13":unqug0ry said:
Nebraska. Not Kansas. Sorry. Do not have any details. It was posted on Facebook.

It's been terribly hot here for the last few weeks (high 90s to even low 100s) that is really sad. Finally going to be high 80s as a high this week which is much more normal but every summer we get some kind of heat wave.

Spent a few days, with some people from Arizona, in this heat. According to them, they've never experienced the way our humidity made them feel, when they had to move around/work. Not 100% sure what they meant, but I know it's miserable here.

Bigfoot":19s8nusj said:
Spent a few days, with some people from Arizona, in this heat. According to them, they've never experienced the way our humidity made them feel, when they had to move around/work. Not 100% sure what they meant, but I know it's miserable here.

Bigfoot I remember my granddaddy saying that while he was in the army he spent some time in Arizona. He said that he could be inside of some of the airplane hangers and the temp would be pretty high, I think he said in the 90s, and because the humidity was near zero he said on many days they would wear light jackets while they were in the shade. I may be wrong about the exact temps but I remember thinking that you would never even think about wearing a jacket hear under the same conditions.

inyati13":o6td33sj said:
Kansas. Feeder steers. Happened this week.
ve2lus.jpg

Graphic content: Pray for wind and rain to keep the cattle cooled down. Here is my dad looking over the damage from yesterday's heat wave. No matter how much we watered them down the heat still beat us.

Man that's rough. I wish it would cool off some here too, but it's gonna be another month of it practically. Normally about the third week of Aug. I start feeling better about things. Corn is coming out of the field, nights cooling off. If we can all make it another month...

I've got my main group on a patch that has holes in the creek. All areas have shade but not all have wading water. I'm gonna leave them there until the grass plays out, then take down a gap so they can get grass elsewhere but still come back to the water. We've been getting a scattered pop up for a tenth or so occasionally.

Good luck to everyone.

callmefence":tl1rje1z said:
greybeard":tl1rje1z said:
Other than during floods, I don't think I've ever had a cow or bull go stand in water, and I have plenty of it for them to stand in. It was 99 Friday--I didn't look today.

That's odd. I don't think I've ever seen em not take a dip during the summer.
Maybe breed related?
I just have chars, char/simm cross, and beefmasters. Only one has any black on it at all, and it's still got a lot of white.
If I had cattle that needed a fan I wouldn't have any.

Good chance of rain tomorrow an Tuesday here, might cool things down--I see reflected lightning way off to the North now. Could sure use some moisture.

greybeard":18je4imo said:
Good chance of rain tomorrow an Tuesday here, might cool things down--I see reflected lightning way off to the North now. Could sure use some moisture.

Saw that too...course it was to the ENE. Typical, they done pushed it off till Wednesday here.....but it is overcast and cloudy. Weather change for sure but doesn't feel or look like rain.

1982vett":1regkjc1 said:
greybeard":1regkjc1 said:

Saw that too...course it was to the ENE. Typical, they done pushed it off till Wednesday here.....but it is overcast and cloudy. Weather change for sure but doesn't feel or look like rain.

:x

The bull was in the pond shoulder deep and didn't even come out for some water melon. I notice a 2 week old calf panting late yesterday but its hot every summer. Perfect for building fences , I did a qtr mile (5 strands) of HT fence Saturday then mowed and cut limbs sunday. Its hot but I Dang sure don't look forward to winter time. It must be my ancestors blood that allows me to handle it.

1982vett":kyf6ea4h said:
greybeard":kyf6ea4h said:

Gonna have to start calling you Moriarty.
'vett--you ever watch the movie Kelly's Heroes?
Oddball (Donald Southern) is a tank commander (hippie type) and has a crewman he's always having to give a pep talk to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuStsFW4EmQ

TexasBred":1nxy2len said:
KNERSIE":1nxy2len said:
Lucky_P":1nxy2len said:
Heat stress on cattle a significant concern right now. Have seen a half-dozen deaths this week in over-fed/over-finished steers at a local feeding floor, history & samples from a dairy cow submitted to the lab yesterday look pretty typical.

Any time you've got daytime temps well above 85F, and nighttime temps not dropping below 70-74F, cows can't effectively 'dump' heat at night, and the potential is there after 3-4 days of those sort of conditions for some deaths to occur. You absolutely do not want to do anything stressful with them, and no vaccinations at this time! Shade, plenty of clean water, fans(if possible) are pretty important.

Good thing I haven't given the wifi password to my cattle, otherwise they might just browse CT and read that they must croak at the end of spring.

We have months of temps above 100F where the nights don't get much below 85F. Measured 120.2F on 27 October last year and it wasn't even summer yet!
:bs: :bs: :bs:

He ranches in either the Northern Cape Province or the Orange Free State. Not far from the Kalahari Desert in Botswana. Those temperatures do not surprise me.

PS: Their seasons are reversed. October is hotter than hades!

Maybe breed related?
I just have chars, char/simm cross, and beefmasters. Only one has any black on it at all, and it's still got a lot of white.
If I had cattle that needed a fan I wouldn't have any.
GB- Do you not have the humidity that we have? I think a lot has to do with the breed and heat/humidity where they are. Some brimmer in then I think helps. Not so much where they are black hided/or have angus in them in our humidity. A lot of your weather and in the southwest is what we always called a dry heat. Kinda the same as when I was stationed in Gitmo and Iraq.

Ain't no dry heat here--I'm in East Texas, 45 miles from Houston. Our humidity is legendary. We're #9 on weather channel's 10 most humid cities in the country--1/2 of that list is in East Texas.
"The average relative humidity ranges from over 90 percent in the morning to around 60 percent in the afternoon"
I too was in GTMO from 1974, thru 1975. Worked on one of the ferries running back and forth from leeward to mainside. The ferries back then were old converted LCUs) Worked in the port services engine shop 2nd year there. I sure do missed the fishing there.

greybeard":3kvpnrzr said:
1982vett":3kvpnrzr said:
greybeard":3kvpnrzr said:

Gonna have to start calling you Moriarty.
'vett--you ever watch the movie Kelly's Heroes?
Oddball (Donald Southern) is a tank commander (hippie type) and has a crewman he's always having to give a pep talk to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuStsFW4EmQ

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :clap: perfect....

M-5":1wvkqg3y said:
The bull was in the pond shoulder deep and didn't even come out for some water melon. I notice a 2 week old calf panting late yesterday but its hot every summer. Perfect for building fences , I did a qtr mile (5 strands) of HT fence Saturday then mowed and cut limbs sunday. Its hot but I Dang sure don't look forward to winter time. It must be my ancestors blood that allows me to handle it.

M-5 you get your property bought?

NECowboy":2mw20jg3 said:
M-5":2mw20jg3 said:

we Close tomorrow .

M-5":23wls9ua said:
NECowboy":23wls9ua said:
M-5":23wls9ua said:

we Close tomorrow .

Sweet bet you're excited other than the writing the check part!

On another note how in the sam hill did you build a quarter mile of fence on Saturday? Do you have like a super auger attachment to your tractor? You must drive in staples way faster than I do - it took a 5 man crew 2 days to drill holes and install that length fence for us, it was regular barbed wire, but had a lot of bends and was not level ground. I don't think the hole drilling took that terribly long but the fence installation and 140 creosote posts and stapling did take longer.

Latest posts