Expected extreme heat wave temperatures

Help Support CattleToday:

At 120 with 9% humidity one spark and the world burns down. Heck anything over 100 with that humidity and a fire will run like no other.

They are talking dry lightning here. With our 102 and 14% humidity we are sweating it.
It's scary how that works. I've seen the humidity drop on us during burns and embers that you couldnt even see were hitting our shirts and burning holes.

It's scary how that works. I've seen the humidity drop on us during burns and embers that you couldnt even see were hitting our shirts and burning holes.
I have seen a fire top a ridge and jump across half a mile to the next ridge and the canyon in the middle nearly explode.

It was hot this morning and I had a flat tire on the pickup. Way too hot to do battle with a flat tire. And that F250 has a 7.3 power stroke which weighs a ton and the tire was a front tire. After I got done it clouded up. They were saying dry lightning. It rained but just a little bit. B has one of those truck self loaders to haul the big bale out of the field to the stack yard coming tomorrow. There is one little field up hill from the neighbor. I wanted to splash it before the neighbor was going to cut. So the plan was to haul the 14 bales out of that field and stack them in a manner as to serve as a back stop for the truck hauler tomorrow. A little thunder. It kept getting closer. As I went to unload the last 6 bales the sky opened up. Lots of thunder and flashes of lightning and it poured. That tractor doesn't have a cab but it does have a roof. No matter it was raining sideways. So much for dry lightning. I got that hay unloaded and stacked but not a single square inch of dry cloths. I about die of heat stroke changing a tire this morning and near drown stacking hay this afternoon. Are we having fun yet?

The weather is unpredictable and changes very quickly. Therefore, I do not really rely on the weather forecast, because it was many times that it rained, which was not in the forecasts of the weather forecasters.

Town of lillooet just got some rain/thunder/lightning mix, nothing at all here just 15 miles south.. I took a drive up a nearby logging road tonight to see if I could see anything, I could tell the heat even up at higher elevations was incredible, fir trees, cottonwoods, and just shrubs, the side that faced the road was brown from the heat, the shaded side survived so far

Well, we're officially under evacuation orders, at this point there's no way I leave this place, the fire isn't on this side of the river yet and is at least 12 miles away

I dont know anything about dry heat, lived in the South my entire life. I do know I dug a trench (pick n shovel) and cut down a large tree for firewood Monday and Tuesday. It was mid 90s with humidity close to that same number percentage wise. It's brutal but as long as I can remember it's been this way my entire life down here for 53 years.

Well the fire that burned out our range last September-October traveled 12 miles in a short time. We kept thinking, they were crazy for telling us to gather our cows in the area since the fire would have to go downhill, across a river, and uphill, across a wide road, and down another hill. Back in the day when they used to do controlled burning and they maintained firebreaks, it would have stopped. Couldn't gather the cows anyway because the air was too smoky to work in. Wind was the killer. The wind could blow embers for a mile, and just when they would get it stopped, spot fires would start up to a mile away. Clear everything away from your buildings and set up sprinklers around them. Most of the buildings that were wrapped survived, but not all of them. If an ember blows inside the building it is all over. The second picture is one where they neglected to wrap the porch of the cabin. The first one survived. Some people saved buildings by running sprinklers. I'll be praying for your safety.

Attachments

• Barnes House Wrapped.JPG
    Barnes House Wrapped.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 4-Pines Cabin.JPG
    4-Pines Cabin.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 14
Annmarie,
Where do you get that wrap? I've been thinking about that stuff a lot since last summers fire burnt something like 100,000 acres in the first 36 hours and was within about 6 miles of the house when local ranchers and timber operators managed to stop it in our direction. It seems like there would be a huge market for it, but I've never seen it for sale locally. I found a website for Firezat. Would that be the product?

We have been very blessed the last three days. They were predicting temperatures in the high 90's but what feels like a marine layer from the ocean has moved in over us every morning dropping temperatures back into the 60's at night and staying very comfortable until late afternoon. We are back to work, spot spraying weeds on the steep hillsides. My husband tells everyone that we spend our summers together backpacking, which sounds like fun, until he tells them we are climbing up and down over 900 steep acres with full sprayers on our backs.

The heat here a few days ago was bad. Much hotter than anything I have felt in the past, but I agree with those from the south and especially the southeast, that their heat is worse. The humidity is a killer and you don't even get a break at night. My Dad grew up in Arkansas, and we would visit his family ever summer. It was really beautiful there, but having spent weeks in summer with his parents in a home without any air conditioning, I knew it was not for me. Minnesota had its share of hot humid days, and the mosquitos would eat you alive. There was no relief at night. We didn't have AC, so the windows were always open and you would lay in bad at night alternating between sweating under the sheets and being eaten by the mosquitos as soon as you threw them back to try to get some air. That was one of the reasons I moved to Oregon. I was shocked when we first arrived and saw people didn't even have screens in their windows, because there are so few biting insects.

Two weeks ago the mosquitoes here would eat you alive. I would have to fog myself down with deep woods off several times a day. Shut down the irrigation to dry out enough to cut hay. Mowed the hay and it went to 106 with no humidity. It killed off most of the mosquitoes. Maybe 1% of the population left.

It was hot this morning and I had a flat tire on the pip. Way too hot to do battle with a flat tire. And that F250 has a 7.3 power stroke which weighs a ton and the tire was a front tire. After I got done it clouded up. They were saying dry lightning. It rained but just a little bit. B has one of those truck self loaders to haul the big bale out of the field to the stack yard coming tomorrow. There is one little field up hill from the neighbor. I wanted to splash it before the neighbor was going to cut. So the plan was to haul the 14 bales out of that field and stack them in a manner as to serve as a back stop for the truck hauler tomorrow. A little thunder. It kept getting closer. As I went to unload the last 6 bales the sky opened up. Lots of thunder and flashes of lightning and it poured. That tractor doesn't have a cab but it does have a roof. No matter it was raining sideways. So much for dry lightning. I got that hay unloaded and stacked but not a single square inch of dry cloths. I about die of heat stroke changing a tire this morning and near drown stacking hay this afternoon. Are we having fun yet?
Yup- I ran the well about dry on Monday evening (28th); filled the stock tanks with what water I could eke out of the well on Tuesday, worked on fence for as long as I could stand it in killer heat, tried NOT to look at the dormant crispy grass crunching under my feet- went home to hide from the heat- and I was noticing it clouding up a bit, muttering a little thunder- checked the radar and said- 'hmm- now THAT'S interesting- rolled up windows but totally forgot the bags of fertilizer in the back of the truck- went and camped out on the porch with Mike- and watched one HELLACIOUS storm roll in. It chained 4 connected centers that stretched from Wolfeboro all the way to the ocean (40 miles or more- and they all rolled right over us- let up for a bit, slam back down.. the driveway was running 2-3" deep, trees bending double, just a hint of mammatus clouds at the beginning but no rotation- and some serious straight line wind damage to trees- but not on my road..
Yup- definitely fun. Not rain dance fun but just about. Save the garden, change a good portion of people's short-term outlook- but not ending the drought just yet.. Rain is good..

Last edited:
Annmarie,
Where do you get that wrap? I've been thinking about that stuff a lot since last summers fire burnt something like 100,000 acres in the first 36 hours and was within about 6 miles of the house when local ranchers and timber operators managed to stop it in our direction. It seems like there would be a huge market for it, but I've never seen it for sale locally. I found a website for Firezat. Would that be the product?
That was my question too. I'll look it up.

I would encourage anyone in an area that there could be a wildfire to check out some of the foam kits that attach to a garden hose. Several brands out there. Foam makes water wetter and sticks around longer.

I would encourage anyone in an area that there could be a wildfire to check out some of the foam kits that attach to a garden hose. Several brands out there. Foam makes water wetter and sticks around longer.
definitely interesting as well!

one thing that's "lucky" is that one of the main watersheds between me and the fire got burnt out in 2009 so there might be a little shrubbery left, but big trees that candle should be mostly gone and fallen down now.

The weather has changed, last night there was some rain in Lillooet (town to the north of me) with sheet lightning, to my knowledge it hasn't sparked any more fires, it's cooler now, in the 80's or so and unlike yesterday, it's also windstill, so that really helps firefighting efforts

The Governor just declared all of Montana a drought disaster area. Northeast Montana, ND, and southern Saskatchewan are in the worst drought in over 30 years . We only received .29 inches of rain all of June (which is normally our wettest month) . Only have received 2.8 inches of rain since January 1 (normal is 7.5 inches ) after an open winter with little snow. And temps have been way above normal- constant temps of near or above 100. 101 yesterday- 102 today with a constant 20 - 40 mph wind sucking the earth dry. Waterholes in many pastures are dry- and grass never came. Most in this area getting very little quantity on dryland hay (some said they will not even start their swather's this year) - and the irrigated fields may only have 1 cutting as the irrigation water (out of Milk River) has ran out. The stockyards that normally goes to every other week sales is staying on regular schedule because of so many cattle being sold out. And with hay priced at over $200 a T (some horse quality selling for $320) some are doing total dispersals. We are going to end up selling at least a quarter of our registered cows while trying to keep all of the genetics alive.

I had hoped to never see this again in my lifetime !

Latest posts