Heat- 96 today

Help Support CattleToday:

NECowboy":11r193o1 said:
M-5":11r193o1 said:
NECowboy":11r193o1 said:
M-5 you get your property bought?

we Close tomorrow .

Sweet bet you're excited other than the writing the check part!

On another note how in the sam hill did you build a quarter mile of fence on Saturday? Do you have like a super auger attachment to your tractor? You must drive in staples way faster than I do - it took a 5 man crew 2 days to drill holes and install that length fence for us, it was regular barbed wire, but had a lot of bends and was not level ground. I don't think the hole drilling took that terribly long but the fence installation and 140 creosote posts and stapling did take longer.

His wife lets him use power tools :mrgreen:

callmefence":2ps6zfko said:
NECowboy":2ps6zfko said:
M-5":2ps6zfko said:
we Close tomorrow .

On another note how in the sam hill did you build a quarter mile of fence on Saturday? Do you have like a super auger attachment to your tractor? You must drive in staples way faster than I do - it took a 5 man crew 2 days to drill holes and install that length fence for us, it was regular barbed wire, but had a lot of bends and was not level ground. I don't think the hole drilling took that terribly long but the fence installation and 140 creosote posts and stapling did take longer.

Fence was already there just laying on the ground for 3 yrs. all I had to do was put new tighteners on it and took the front end loader and lifted the wire out of the waitaminute vines and briars then I tightened all of the wires put Tpost in every 30 ft I bump them in with a hand driver and I have a tube on my loader that I drop on the post and push them in. The devil is in the details . No corners were set and once tight it stood up on its own pretty much. I did not drive a single staple . In the end it was still a qtr mile fence. If it helps any I got a 1/3 of a mile to start next week and I will be using hole diggers to set the light poles min of hole digger handle deep

M-5":1ws9riyq said:
Fence was already there just laying on the ground for 3 yrs. all I had to do was put new tighteners on it and took the front end loader and lifted the wire out of the waitaminute vines and briars then I tightened all of the wires put Tpost in every 30 ft I bump them in with a hand driver and I have a tube on my loader that I drop on the post and push them in. The devil is in the details . No corners were set and once tight it stood up on its own pretty much. I did not drive a single staple . In the end it was still a qtr mile fence. If it helps any I got a 1/3 of a mile to start next week and I will be using hole diggers to set the light poles min of hole digger handle deep

Yeah that's the real fun digging post holes by hand with post hole diggers esp in 90+ degree heat. Do yourself a favor and for that many use some power tools. That's what I've learned the smartest thing to do in this business and my wife has too! Digging that many post holes by hand makes about as much sense as me bow sawing my cedars :D

callmefence":367g7ibp said:
NECowboy":367g7ibp said:
M-5":367g7ibp said:
we Close tomorrow .

Yes my wife and I had a conversation. She can use the bowsaw herself or I can get a chainsaw. :cowboy: I also told her about chaps, helmet, steel toe boots to make everything safer and I think she's ok with that then too. Also got some quotes and they charge $20/tree here (25 trees would have a top of the line chainsaw paid for so no go).

M-5":22wmf7s6 said:
NECowboy":22wmf7s6 said:

Wanna borrow my 8' long lineman's ph diggers?

greybeard":1b4i0dpu said:
M-5":1b4i0dpu said:
NECowboy":1b4i0dpu said:

Wanna borrow my 8' long lineman's ph diggers?

After he borrows my bow saw to cut down every tree on his new property (although prob a lot more down in his neck of the woods than mine - South is one giant pine forest or if he lives in Yankee Florida on the other side of that line - palm trees, pride parades, crazy old drivers, alligators, and a bunch of criminals). A few holes yeah on the diggers but after that not so practical. You must not have any turns otherwise on each turn should have a brace, always brace at start and finish too.

M-5":39xejok7 said:
The bull was in the pond shoulder deep and didn't even come out for some water melon. I notice a 2 week old calf panting late yesterday but its hot every summer. Perfect for building fences , I did a qtr mile (5 strands) of HT fence Saturday then mowed and cut limbs sunday. Its hot but I Dang sure don't look forward to winter time. It must be my ancestors blood that allows me to handle it.
Poor fellow, those winters must be really harsh in northern Florida.

M-5":2z5yfcpa said:
I'm in real Florida , we don't tolerate Yankees here
We've seen that tractor that came with the property--you ought to be able to push out a fenceline pretty easy with that, and poke holes in the ground from here to sunrise.

Been steady but light rain here for about 2 hrs now, but I can see it is just about done. Hopefully some more tomorrow--i'll take it either way.

2 years or more ago I told the TX people on here that the long range forecast for most of TX was very dry to a drought for the next 15 years. It has flooded there ever since.

greybeard":f9sibc5w said:
M-5":f9sibc5w said:
I'm in real Florida , we don't tolerate Yankees here
We've seen that tractor that came with the property--you ought to be able to push out a fenceline pretty easy with that, and poke holes in the ground from here to sunrise.

Been steady but light rain here for about 2 hrs now, but I can see it is just about done. Hopefully some more tomorrow--i'll take it either way.

Yup that tractor looks cool!

inyati13":2xereb1l said:
TexasBred":2xereb1l said:
KNERSIE":2xereb1l said:
Good thing I haven't given the wifi password to my cattle, otherwise they might just browse CT and read that they must croak at the end of spring.

We have months of temps above 100F where the nights don't get much below 85F. Measured 120.2F on 27 October last year and it wasn't even summer yet!
:bs: :bs: :bs:

He ranches in either the Northern Cape Province or the Orange Free State. Not far from the Kalahari Desert in Botswana. Those temperatures do not surprise me.

PS: Their seasons are reversed. October is hotter than hades!
I understand the seasons are reversed but "months of temps above 100F"???? Seems hard to believe.

greybeard":q2d5tpqc said:
Other than during floods, I don't think I've ever had a cow or bull go stand in water, and I have plenty of it for them to stand in. It was 99 Friday--I didn't look today.

Only 92 with a heat index of 100 today but they're enjoying the lake :)

TexasBred":tl2qu2nx said:
inyati13":tl2qu2nx said:
TexasBred":tl2qu2nx said:

He ranches in either the Northern Cape Province or the Orange Free State. Not far from the Kalahari Desert in Botswana. Those temperatures do not surprise me.

I understand the seasons are reversed but "months of temps above 100F"???? Seems hard to believe.

True in India and definitely in the Middle East, not sure about Africa though!

TexasBred":1dghcibb said:
inyati13":1dghcibb said:
TexasBred":1dghcibb said:

We had it here last year.. from April was in the 90's, May through September was in the 100's, September finally cooled off.. Most of the summer was smokey from all the fires, which bothers me more than the heat.
My cows often don't have shade, they lay/stand out there just fine.. no, I don't work them, and I do religiously check their water supply (we have COLD water).. they do alright

Latest posts