Heard a new one on snakebite treatment

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I was talking with someone about the snakebit bull, and he told me that an old timer told him thy if you, dog, cow etc, get bit by venomous snake to take a tazer or the like to the victim. The electricity kills the proteins in the venom rendering it innocuous.
Any else hear this? Inyati, any chance you can confirm this?

sounds to me as if someone is just looking for an excuse to taze someone. I would try it with a hotshot or a shock collar because they don't hurt like i hear a tazer does.

hooknline":1pmdppzd said:
I've been looking into it and it seems there may be something to it.

We need some first hand experience
Get a snake and a taser and someone to video it and post it here :D

I have heard that but I don't know if I believe it

Funny link. Thanks.
I ask because they said their dog got bit and head swelled way up. They shocked the dog and next day dog was fine. I've had bit dogs before and they never recover that quick.

I've had two dogs bit in the neck and they didn't recover at all. Their neck swells up so they can't breath.

Sorry gp. So far my dogs have only been bit by ground rattlers. Both on the nose

It's a bad day when your dog gets bit in the neck. By the time I found both of mine they already looked like they had swallowed a football. One was an English Setter and the other a Treeing Walker. I've had a couple of others disappear that I suspected snakes got them. It's one of the hazards of being a dog. There's some canebrake or timber rattlers around here but mostly diamondbacks and they're all big snakes. Hardly ever see one less than five feet long.

I do know a beekeeper that swears up and down that bee venom is close enough to rattlesnake venom that you can build tolerance with beestings. I don't have any intention of trying it out but he claims he's been bitten twice by snakes hiding under bee pallets and he walked away both times.

I've built up tolerance to bee venom but I'm not about to try it with snakes.

Most venoms are proteins or other organic molecules like enzymes. You would need to apply the electricity at a pretty high amperage. But if it denatures the venom it might also denature your tissues so probably not very effective.

Latest posts